My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Martin Hopewell

June 8, 2005 10:34 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Canon IS 15x50 eyecups

Posted By Martin Hopewell

This is something of an old question, but I can't seem to find an answer in the archives... Has anyone managed to find an alternative to the Canon IS 50's rather stiff and deep eyecups - preferably winged ones? I'm on the verge of cutting mine down, but I'd rather not!

Thanks,

Martin Hopewell

June 22, 2005 12:17 AM Forum: Takahashi

Re: Half pier for EM-10?

Takahashi make a very nice tripod extension (see photo attached). It does indeed make observing near the zenith much easier, and it has the added advantage of a rotatable top plate for polar aligning. Whilst it does add stability when used with the FC-L tripod (which is what I assume you have), I personally found that this tripod was simply not up to the job of supporting my EM10 and FS128 adequately and switched to the SE tripod (sold with the EM200) shown in the photo. If you are not using a refractor as long as the FS128 and do not have to extend the FC-L legs at all, then you might find that the improvement added by the tripod extension is enough to make you smile...

Hope this helps,

Martin Hopewell

February 11, 2003 02:29 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Mirror mount use with 20x80?

I believe that the problem is that aberations start to creep in when the magnification gets to this sort of level. I was thinking about trying the same trick with Tak 22x60 Astronomers, but that's what I was told. I'm not sure whether the Oberwerk mirror is a better alternative or not.

Must say I'm surprised that nobody has come up with a good solution to this so far...

March 16, 2003 12:22 AM Forum: Binoviewers

On the lighter side...

Well done, Pat - another binoviewing cartoon! That's the third one I've seen in 4 days - and I thought that the first one was going to be the last...

I started a folder on the binoviewer group called 'Fun Stuff' in case it turned into a collection. Mind if I post this one there?

Martin Hopewell

May 27, 2003 04:27 PM Forum: Takahashi

Travel tripod/mount

If it's only for visual use, then maybe a Giro2 DX?

January 17, 2004 04:11 AM Forum: Takahashi

Cleaning the front of objective

Two further suggestions:

1) Read the excellent article on cleaning optics at http://www.arksky.org/asoclean.htm

2) Check out the Baader 'Optical Wonder' cleaning fluid and cloth

I used a combination of the ASO method and the Baader products on my FS128 and it worked beautifully.

Good luck,

Martin Hopewell

February 7, 2004 10:19 PM Forum: Binoviewers

change of subject !!

BC&F - now mainly known as Telescope House - is a long established astro company based in London, UK. I saw the Bino-Mate bv's for the first time today at the annual exhibition, AstroFest. There was no detail available about them on the stand as the product is brand new, but it seems that they are a bespoke design using components mainly from the Far East with a fairly narrow clear aperture. The external appearance is quite nice with an 'expensive feel'. The price, however, is very low by the standards of UK-produced equipment, and it will be interesting to find out why that is when the details of the unit are finally publicised.

All the best,

Martin Hopewell

April 27, 2004 03:02 AM Forum: Takahashi

Mewlon Questions

I use a Zeiss/Baader binoviewer and a Tak TwinView with my M250. The Zeiss unit will reach focus without a barlow now that I've had the standard 2" adapter cut down - otherwise you'd need to use at least the 1.25x compensator - but the TwinView needs its 2x barlow to be fitted. The views with both are superb.

Best

Martin Hopewell

September 19, 2004 11:12 PM Forum: Takahashi

FS152 Case Options

You might consider a 'hardware' case - normally used to transport musicians' gear. Check out www.hardcase.com/English/acchardware.htm
for an example. You'd have to line the thing with foam yourself, of course.

Best

Martin Hopewell

February 2, 2005 11:27 PM Forum: Takahashi

4" apo and Mewlon 210

Just adding my endorsement to Gary's comments. I have a Mewlon 250, FS128, and AP Traveler (plus a few others...). I've also used the 4" Traveler side-by-side with a Mewlon 210 under fantastic skies in the Canary Islands, so I guess I've done the comparison you're looking for. Accepting the comment about star images, the Mewlons win virtually every time for both planetary and deep sky stuff, IMHO - greater resolution, more light-gathering etc etc. The refractors do offer the chance of nice wide field views and greater portability though - and not having to worry too much about collimation can also be a benefit, of course.

For me, a Mewlon 250 with your 4" apo would make a perfect pair. If you can't make that work out, though, I think you'd love the 210. A friend of mine just bought one and has been blown away by it.

Best

Martin Hopewell