Posts Made By: Martin Willes

April 6, 2012 12:35 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Is it a violation of the TOS?

Posted By Martin Willes

Doesn't surprise me at all.

April 19, 2012 11:09 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Beginner Imaging Artifact: Help!

Posted By Martin Willes

It's a Fresnel pattern or Newton Rings. Happens with some camera's when imaging in H-alpha. May be due to the reflections building up between the etalons. They're a real beast to deal with and you probably won't be able to get rid of them with that camera. Image many subs and let the mount drift a bit. When processing the image the software will cancel the pattern out. A flat will not help. Martin

April 24, 2012 12:24 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Paypal fees ......

Posted By Martin Willes

One of the signatures of the Astromart users reads "Don't pet the sweaty things and don't sweat the petty things." I think that applies here. My advice is to ask the seller if his price includes a PayPal fee. If it doesn't you'll have to dig real deep into that pocket and cough up 3%. If you think the 3% puts the price over the top than spend your cash elsewhere or mail a cashier's check, simple. I try to be crystal clear in my ads. Bottom line...ask. If you have a business than you have already figured the fee into your cost of doing business. I know I do with my business and only a fool would believe otherwise. Ever shop at Sam's or Costco and wonder why they don't take Visa? It's the 3% fee they have to absorb. Most users on Astromart aren't selling their gear as a business. Martin

May 28, 2012 02:26 PM Forum: After Dark

Upcoming Venus transit

Posted By Martin Willes

You may need to invest in a planetarium program like Starry Nights. It's very valuable for a situation like this. I use the program to locate comets and correctly identify asteroids and moons around planets. During astrophotography the program can become even more valuable. Here's a pic I took in 2004 of the transit. Best of luck with your efforts June 5th. Martin

May 28, 2012 11:07 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Upcoming transit

Posted By Martin Willes

The site you posted is very accurate for naked eye observing. Adjust view for your telescope. Point the telescope out the window observe if view is upside down or inverted. Make adjustments when you view the transit. Alt/Az and GEM mount will change your view. Martin

August 2, 2012 01:30 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Veil in H-a

Posted By Martin Willes

That's really nice! I spent some time in Cygnus a few weeks ago with my NP-127is and QSI583WS. Martin

September 17, 2012 11:31 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Andromeda Nebulae

Posted By Martin Willes

Sure looks like the Andromeda Galaxy :-)

November 15, 2012 01:46 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Great Orion Nebula area HAlpha

Posted By Martin Willes

Very well done!!! Thanks for posting. Martin

November 27, 2012 02:44 AM Forum: Reflectors

Wow! A 1.8m reflector?

Posted By Martin Willes

Love that story. Thanks for posting. Martin

January 13, 2013 06:15 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

finally in the right place at the right time

Posted By Martin Willes

Congratulations and enjoy the experience. The eclipse goes by fast so I recommend taking just a few pictures. A total solar eclipse is unlike ANY experience you'll ever witness in your life. Martin