My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Martin Willes

April 24, 2010 04:55 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Is a light box needed for good flats?

Posted By Martin Willes

Can some of you folks that take pictures with CCD camera's chime in and tell me how you are taking your flats? I've always read that flat's aren't as important as darks so I've spent two years ignoring this step. However I decided to take a flat using the dusk sky as my "illuminated surface" and set my ST-4000XCM camera to 1/1000 sec. exposure. After making a master from 10 exposures I processed my lights with CCD Stack. My lights were calibrated with the flats, darks, and bias. The results were a beautiful picture that's required little processing. I have the older Kodak KAI-4020CM chip so the chip has column defects and some uneven illumination that's mostly been eliminated because of the proper calibrations. So my question is will I get better results with a homemade light box or keep on doing what I'm doing? I'm very happy with my results but I just can't understand why people would go through the trouble of making light boxes when flats can be taken with a dimly lit sky? What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

Martin

July 18, 2010 12:14 AM Forum: Takahashi

Tak Collimation Scope

Posted By Martin Willes

Does anyone know what I kind of grease I can use on the Takahashi collimation scope's o-rings? The problem I'm having is the end of the scope wants to separate from the body when my cassegrain is pointed towards the sky. This is the optimal position since the mirror is completely engaged with the mirror supports. It's really a wonderful collimation device but a very poor design because there is no stop to prevent the "eyepiece" from falling to the ground. I suspect removal of grease will make it worse because the grease has a certain amount of stickiness to it. I'm looking for a grease that won't migrate to the lens assembly at the rear of the collimator.

Thanks, Martin

January 18, 2011 10:27 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NP-101 w/reducer (.8X) and QSI 583WS CCD camera

Posted By Martin Willes

I'd like to use the TeleVue .8X reducer with my NP-101 refractor and QSI 583 CCD camera. Does anyone have any experience with this combination of equipment? If you do have some knowledge on the results I'd be very interested in hearing about your results and any possible problems. One concern I have is even illumination on a CCD chip 18mm X 13.5mm using 1.25" filters. Thanks, Martin

June 7, 2012 02:20 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

transit

Posted By Martin Willes

Here's a quick pic I was able to put together with my Daystar and Solaris. I was wondering if anyone observed the teardrop effect or saw the atmosphere around Venus during the transit? I was fortunate to observe both in 2004 with a Herschel wedge. The atmosphere was visible for about a minute and was completely unexpected. When the white ring appeared around Venus I thought something was wrong with the eyepiece and replaced it with another eyepiece. The ring was still around Venus and I asked my wife to confirm the observation. I'll never forget that. Venus glided across the sun surrounded by a thin white ring. The teardrop effect was a neat illusion. James Cook would have been proud! This time the solar cycle was more active and it was neat to observe the transit with so many interesting features nearby. Martin

January 6, 2013 04:21 PM Forum: Comets

Comet Linear C/2012 K5

Posted By Martin Willes

Last night I took 30 images of comet Linear C/2012 K5 for 60 seconds at 3 minute intervals. This 11 magnitude comet is zipping across the sky very quickly. In three hours it can cross a section of sky equal to the apparent size of a full moon. Video can be seen at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOHttPqkdTg

December 6, 2013 07:28 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

picture of the day?

Posted By Martin Willes

The picture of the day says it's M45 but it sure looks like the Double Cluster to me. Martin

http://www.buytelescopes.com/gallery/photo/51740

November 16, 2014 03:29 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Image of the day

Posted By Martin Willes

Image of the day "M-83" sure looks like M-82 :-)

January 7, 2006 01:32 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

AP 160 on a G-11

Posted By Martin Willes

Hello Harry,
The 160 rides on my G-11 very well with a 12" extension and only one 21lbs. weight. The weight is all the way to the end of the steel rod when I have my heavy Baader V bino's in and 24mm Pan's in the bino. If you just use a diagonal and one e.p. the weight is moved in a few inches. I'm 6'1" and the 12" extension puts the rear of the telescope at a very comfortable height, especially with a bino. In about another year we'll be neighbors in Edgewood N.M. and maybe you'll have a 160 by then. I sure do want those clear skies you've been having!!!! I check the live web camera from Sandia Airport almost every day. Very nice view of South Mountain. Martin Willes

January 1, 2008 12:48 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Brandon eyepieces

Posted By Martin Willes

I had two new sets unused and had a hard time finding a buyer for over $600 per set. Martin

December 17, 2008 12:44 AM Forum: Politics

Bush gets the boot!

Posted By Martin Willes

I counted about 8 seconds from the first boot until the video ended and I didn't see any secret service men jump in front of poor George. One guy stood up and then came to his senses and stood aside. Not bad reactions but I sure wish George would have sneezed or something so I could see him getting clobbered with a size 10.