My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Timothy McDougall

October 19, 2006 01:13 AM Forum: Refractors

Help for star test results!

Posted By Timothy McDougall

I think I know what I have to do, but I dont want to jump the gun. Just took delivery of an import "apo" refractor. On star test with vega at zenith,160x, inside of focus nice pattern, outside rings obscured(more turbulence seen outside of focus?)similar to rough surface. Also inside of focus astigmatism obvious on opposite sides of view but none seen outside of focus??? Wouldn't astigmatism appear on both sides of focus and in the center of the view, not just at oppposite edges??? It appears that in a daylight terrestrial view there is vignetting all around the edge, more so where the astigmatism showed up on star test. What is the diagnosis? I had just a short time to do the star test as clouds moved in, I didnt get an overall general look at a field of stars. What level of quality should I accept from the "imports" toted as APO? I think I need to send this back...any help or advice greatly appreciated!
P.S. Televue eyepieces and everbright used!

October 27, 2006 01:07 PM Forum: Refractors

Resolution targets...

Can you use USAF resolution targets for an indoor telescope testing? If so how would this be accomplished? ie. what size chart at what distance under what illumination etc.etc... There is a "Sector star chart" that could be used to test for astigmatism, anyone done this? It seems this would be easier than having to own an optical bench and artificial star...

January 26, 2007 02:24 PM Forum: APM

What happened to TMB180 Auction???

I was following this auction closely with an interest to bid when it got serious, then POOF :S gone!?!?

August 6, 2007 05:04 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

New AP 130...Any word???

Anyone hear about a release time yet for the new 130? Anyone called for a deposit? I understand the list starts around Nov.1999...

August 17, 2007 03:42 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Farthest star visible to naked eye?

I was asked this question and I was stumped!?! :S
While we're at it what is the farthest deep-sky object as well? Assume average (6th mag)seeing and eyes and etc. etc. etc.

August 24, 2007 11:51 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Queen Rocker Awarded PHd !!!

Queen's Brian May is to be awarded his PHd in Astronomy for his doctoral thesis on Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Cloud...who knew!?!?! COOL 8)

September 27, 2007 03:54 PM Forum: Mounts

Vixen Sphinx capabilities

Can the sphinx(original) "quick align" like a CG5GTO? Does it have to be pointed at polaris at all to 3 star-align? Do you actually use less counter weights for a given load due to the motors as Vixen touts? Thank you...

November 14, 2007 06:41 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

New Mount

Anyone seen or used this new little gem yet? Looks like a low cost knock-off of the DM or skypod. $199 might be nice holding 10lbs...on astronomy-shoppe.

November 30, 2007 02:13 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

CG-4 adapter?

Does anyone supply an 1/4-20 camera mount adapter for a celestron cg-4 ? What a strange design on the cg-4???I'd like to mount a Takahashi clamshell on the cg-4...any help, thank you.

June 10, 2008 01:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron CG5 goto help

I have seen an eyepiece plate/tray that swivels to allow the legs of the tripod to be folded but cannot remember who provides it...any help please and thanks...