Posts Made By: Frank Castanho

February 1, 2005 03:50 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

How to use Meade DSI on LX200GPS with focal reducer?

Posted By Frank Castanho

I'm new to CCD imaging and was considering the Meade DSI.

I was reading literature on Meade DSI, the question I have is how to use the Meade DSI with a 6.3 focal reducer. Reading up on the focal reducer says to connect a #62 T-adapter to the focal reducer, how do you connect the DSI to the T_adapter ?Where should the focal reducer go , at the rear of the SCT or after the micro focuser? From what i've found on the internet the ccd should be about 87 mm behind the 6.3 focal reducer so I assume you just can't install the focal reducer on the back of the SCT followed by the microfocuser then the diagonal the the DSI, this configuration seems longer than 87 mm and focus may or may not be able to be achieved or the focal reduction ratio would be way off?

Thanks
Frank

One possible solution I've found is a SCT to eyepiece adapter from scopestuff, but the distance is far shorter than 87 mm, I then found that a meade barlow with the lense removed would extend this adapter close to 87 mm, will this work? SCT,focal reducer, SCT to eyepiece adapter, barlow with lense removed, then the DSI?

Am I just reading to much into this , Meade has no information on how to use the DSI with focal reducer, but all of their example photo's use them, anybody have any experience with the DSI that could help?

May 20, 2005 01:34 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

How to use #777 Off axis guider with CCD???

Posted By Frank Castanho

I have a #777 Off axis guider (for 35 mm camera use) I want to use the #777 off axis guider with a meade DSI ccd, I think I need a T-Mount extension tube or t mount to
1 1/4" eyepiece adapter to allow the reticle eyepiece to reach focus, has anyone had any experience with doing this?, If so what do I need. I've see meade has a #778 off axis guider for ccd, but I was trying to use the one I already have.

Thanks,
Frank

May 21, 2005 12:26 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

How to use #777 off axis guider with ccd?

Posted By Frank Castanho

Prev Post Next Post

I have a #777 Off axis guider (for 35 mm camera use) I want to use the #777 off axis guider with a meade DSI ccd, I think I need a T-Mount extension tube or t mount to
1 1/4" eyepiece adapter to allow the reticle eyepiece to reach focus, has anyone had any experience with doing this?, If so what do I need. I've see meade has a #778 off axis guider for ccd, but I was trying to use the one I already have.

Thanks,
Frank

May 21, 2005 01:27 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

How to use #777 off axis guider with ccd?

Posted By Frank Castanho

I ordered a 50mm t-mount extension tube , if anyone has the #778 off axis guider could you please tell me the length of the t-mount extension tube that comes with it, based on photos i've seen it looks pretty close to 50mm.

Thanks,
Frank

May 21, 2005 01:28 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

How to use #777 Off axis guider with CCD???

Posted By Frank Castanho

I ordered a 50mm t-mount extension tube , if anyone has the #778 off axis guider could you please tell me the length of the t-mount extension tube that comes with it, based on photos i've seen it looks pretty close to 50mm.

Thanks,
Frank

August 3, 2005 12:33 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Finder Scope Blues

Posted By Frank Castanho

I have a 6" Orion XT, and the straight finder was killing my neck and back to the point were I wouldn't use the scope any more, the solution is you need a Right angle finder and a red dot finder or telrad, use the red dot or telrad to get you close then the right angle finder to fine tune.

This works fine for me.

A telrad would help to help you to starhop by using the rings of the telrad to determine how far to move in a given direction. But I agree other post the telrad requires darks skys were the red dot works fairly well if used with both eyes open.

Frank

July 16, 2006 03:34 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

First amazing night out! Totally amazed!

Posted By Frank Castanho

Micheal,
You may want to get a planisphere , they are not that expensive and should help you locate the brigher objects.
http://www.astromax.com/chandler/nightsky.htm

also I would recomend the book "Turn Left at Orion" to help you get you started finding the brighter popular objects.

Frank

August 5, 2011 02:56 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nose piece size?

Posted By Frank Castanho

Try here

http://www.siebertoptics.com/SiebertOptics-H%20alpha.html

August 5, 2011 02:56 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nose piece size?

Posted By Frank Castanho

Try here

http://www.siebertoptics.com/SiebertOptics-H%20alpha.html