My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Hinrich Eylers

July 24, 2003 04:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Aperture vs. Seeing - Another Round

Posted By Hinrich Eylers

Booooring! It's not what we see, it's what we want to see (especially if we spent a lot of money on our scopes).

It's much more fun to quote a zillion other sources than to come up with real data (especially since someone who actually has some observations is soon called names smile )

smile

August 8, 2003 06:47 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Planetary scopes

Posted By Hinrich Eylers

But, that would work at least as well for all but a few other scopes else on the list ..... so if you count wheels in the "portable" category, why spend what is truly megabucks on a 6" APO if something bigger in aperure yet smaller in weight and a lot less expensive moves just as well on wheels?

The admittedly valid "ease of use" argument only works for up to 4" APOs.

August 9, 2003 05:24 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Searching for the Perfect Telescope

Posted By Hinrich Eylers

I think sometimes this quest is inversely proportional to the number of clear nights available for actual observing per year smile

Gotta focus (pun intended) on something!

August 11, 2003 04:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

5/6-inch Grab-and-Go?

Posted By Hinrich Eylers

... lots of great and amazingly consistent advice. Thanks a bunch to everyone!

I think I'll be looking at 5/6" Mak or 5" Mak-Newt assembies on an LXD55, NexStar, or similar mount. I've actually been intrigued by the Mak-Newt concept a while, and one criterion between one or the other will be if the Mak can reach focus with my binoviewer and StarSweeper focal reducer. I am NOT giving up viewing with two eyes, but I want the wider field the f6ish scope can do so the Mak will need the reducer on it at times. It may be a tough choice.

Thanks again. I knew I could count on the combined wisdom of this forum, however heated it may get at times smile

H

August 17, 2003 09:57 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Alleged Moon Landing Fakes

Posted By Hinrich Eylers

Of course it was a fake. Here's the proof:
http://brainsluice.tripod.com/moonlanding.html

(from the last time this was discussed)

August 17, 2003 10:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Is amature astronomy a dieing sport?

Posted By Hinrich Eylers

I think it's sometimes money (but lots of kids have that), partially maturity, and to a large extent ignorance. For me, half the fun is understanding and appreciating what I'm looking at. But 99% of all kids "graduating" high school these days are completely ignorant about astronomy (and most everything else, unfortunately). For them, a faint fuzzy is exactly that, not a huge galaxy 10 million light years away. How much fun is that to look at?

Plus, astronomy requires some patience. Ever seen MTV? They can't even hold a camera still for more than 1 second or the viewers get bored ..

Now I feel old too. And I'm only 39 ....

August 27, 2003 07:51 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Denkmeier StarSweeper with long-focus refractor?

Posted By Hinrich Eylers

I would almost (never say never ... but) guarantee that you won't reach focus .... Focal reducers work only with SCT-type scopes

September 17, 2003 10:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

How Much for a 9+" APO? Click and See!

Posted By Hinrich Eylers

They used to say in the blurb that this scope was ideal for the vacation villa. Now why would they have dropped that useful piece of information smile ?

October 18, 2003 11:19 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Second telescope recomendation

Posted By Hinrich Eylers

Can you elaborate on what planet/moon performance you are looking for in a sub-80mm scope that you cannot achieve with a 16"?

December 28, 2003 04:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

is pleiades possible w/77x mag?

Posted By Hinrich Eylers

Well, the furthest distance between the seven brightest stars is a tad over 1 degree (Atlas to Celaeno), so theoretically an 80+ degree FOV will show you - very barely - all seven sisters, with four of them at the very edge of the field.

So, a Nagler may just do it if you can find the right one for your focal length smile