My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Phil Holt

February 24, 2007 10:48 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Is anyone using an EOS-5D for imaging?

Posted By Phil Holt

I'm thinking, large format good. Or maybe not. I don't see any images of deep space using this camera. I'm thinking of a purchase and can use some input.

March 5, 2007 09:55 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Re-visiting some old photos

Posted By Phil Holt

I have been playing with some old photos lately while I'm trying to decide to buy a new camera. I think I still like the wide field of a 35mm. I know there will never be a match to digital imaging and the incredable detail that I have been seeing. But when I think about the process of film images like this one I wonder how much time is involved in the digital process by comparison to film.

This is an 87min guided exposure on E-200 with an 80mm f/5 short tube. The slide is burned in pritty good and scanned with a flat bed scanner. Considerable time messing with the processing software trying to eek out some details though - I think it could go on forever and never be satisfied. It is what it is.

But heres the thing, I set up for 2 1/2 hr then start an exposure, then I play with the rest of my scopes and enjoy the evening. When I use the CCD imaging equipment I spend the whole night messing with the equipment and very little time observing. Later the next day I process the film be it slide or color negative, at home for about 45 min and either print or scan or view them. Then if I want to process further I mess with the software.

It seems that film imaging is a simpler process but I'm attracted strongly to digital photography. I have been considering going to an EOS 5-D so I can stay with the large format and still ues it for pictures not attached to the scope. What have you got to say about that?

March 10, 2007 01:59 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

A new antireflective coating?

Posted By Phil Holt

I'm reading the March 3 Science News about a new antireflective coating that has a refractive index of 1.05. Does anyone know what the current antireflective coatings value is and is this something we can expect in telescope lense coatings in the future?

March 11, 2007 10:51 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

When Pluto was a planet

Posted By Phil Holt

With an ocultation comming March 18 I decided to look up some old CCD images and start planning.

May 20, 2007 01:52 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

M20 Trifid

Posted By Phil Holt

This picture of the Trifid Nebula was taken at the Table Mountain Star Party in July 2003 - when it was fun for everyone. Havent been back since they limited the attendance, it was 50/50 for sky conditions anyway so no loss. 60 min on Kodak Gold 400 with AP 152 blue tube at f/8.55. Auto guided with ST-5C

May 20, 2007 02:06 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

M31 Andromeda

Posted By Phil Holt

Picture was taken from Kennewick WA. Nov. 30, 2002. It was 18 deg and the mount was draging a bit so I shut down for the night after this one. Besides the cold the 1/4 moon was comming up on the horizon. 60 min on Kodak Gold 400 with AP 152 @ f/8.55. Autoguided with an ST-5C.

June 10, 2007 11:30 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Just refreshing the forum.

Posted By Phil Holt

Another picture from Nov. 3 2002 outing. Orion & Running Man on Kodak Gold 400, 35 min. With 1989 AP 152mm f/1300mm Starfire on CI700 mount guided with ST-5C on a Celestron 80mm. From the hills south of Kennewick WA.

The negative was printed very light with a blue/gray sky at my request- I used to have a nice print shop available with a very good film print/processor and a nice man to operate it. Since then the shop has closed but what was cool is when you can sit and work with this equipment to get the print the way you want.

The print was then scanned at home with a flat bed scanner and worked in MaxIm DL and Photo shop a little bit to darken the background and saturate the colors. This process works better than just having the negative scanned to disc. For some reason the lighter tones come out better.

The sky here has been cloudy since December except during full moons. I have to photo birds and my dog- which is still fun I must say. I'm still considering a Canon 5D but haven't popped for it yet. Maybe if the sky would get clear up I could get more excited about it.

I did see an unscheduled pass of the Space Shuttle during a brief clearing at about 9:15 on Friday night. It was going a little faster than the Space station goes and was very bright.

I hope for clear skys for the rest of you and maybe a small opening for my scope to poke through soon.

Phil

July 3, 2007 08:30 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Venus and Saturn 6-30-07

Posted By Phil Holt

Venus and Saturn at Devils Punch Bowl on the Oregon Coast near Newport. Cool Pix 5000 digital camera at ISO 800.

July 4, 2007 02:59 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn Moon Venus ISS and Atlantis

Posted By Phil Holt

I caught this picture while the moon and planets were setting on June 18, 2007. The International Space Station with the shuttle Atlantis docked, and on the rise streaked above them at dusk in the Tri-Cities WA.

Nikon Cool Pix 5000, 2 seconds @ f/5 ISO 200.

September 4, 2007 07:13 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Scope got a brand new bag

Posted By Phil Holt

I have been working on an observing platform and pier for my AP152 so I can leave it set up in th back yard. I had been using a sleeping bag to cover it on good days and taking it down on windy days. This week end I decided to make a bag for it and just got it completed yesterday. This morning I got up and saw a rainbow over it. I think its happy with the new bag.