Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Andromeda Galaxy M31

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Gary Davis

June 25, 2002 10:20 AM Forum: Refractors

Synta 120MM f/8.3

Posted By Gary Davis

How would one colimate this refractor ? It does not have a cell for adjustment. It has very good images but I am sure the day will come when it will need help. There is false color around very bright objects "like Venus" but Jupiter does not. On the Moon, you see it if you look hard for it. Is there a dealer who sells adjustable cells for this scope ?

August 25, 2002 11:50 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

6 inch f/5 problems

Posted By Gary Davis

The image: inside focus no defraction rings "just one big one on outer portion of star image " Vega " at 350X. Disk in center. Outside focus near perfect defraction rings at 350X Disk in center. At tight focus 3 images superimposed on one another and no airy disk.
The planets: three disks superimposed on one another. No tight focus obtainable. Image is badly distorted.
Collimation: Laser perfect hit in center.
Cheshire: concentric no visual offsets. As perfect as I can get it.
Star test: At tight focus three tails where viens are but no airy disk "its gone".
Worked for hours to achieve better image but nothing I do fixes it. Only gets close.
Any suggestions ? Don't suggest "throw it away". I really would like to use it.
Maker of scope unknown. Quality unknown. A label stating made in USA but nothing else other than a placard warning of Sun usage. Its brand new. Secondary was turned slightly sideways so had to do something to fix it.

August 30, 2002 11:21 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dob encoders

Posted By Gary Davis

My question

Is there a software program for a pc that can interface with the encoders on an orion XT10 ? I don't want to use a hand device instead, I want to use my laptop.

September 3, 2002 10:15 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Good EP for XT10

Posted By Gary Davis

I want a good eyepiece "type" for my Dob. I need your suggestions !! I just want the best viewing EP. While suggesting, keep in mind the Scope is short f/ ratio and has a tiny amount of coma. Some EP's can help with this combination. I view Deep sky only. I don't care about planetary EP's.

September 3, 2002 11:38 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Eyepiece for XT10 Dob

Posted By Gary Davis

I want a good eyepiece "type" for my Dob. I need your suggestions !! I just want the best viewing EP. While suggesting, keep in mind the Scope is short f/ ratio and has a tiny amount of coma. Some EP's can help with this combination. I view Deep sky only. I don't care about planetary EP's.

September 5, 2002 10:25 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

6 inch f/5 reflector Secondary Question

Posted By Gary Davis

I cannot see the entire primary mirror in the secondary. Should'nt I see the whole primary mirror within the secondary while looking down the focuser ? In my Dob I can see the whole primary. In this scope about 3 inches of the primary is not visible unless I cock my head way off to the side. This is the scope from other posts that I cannot focus.

September 30, 2002 03:09 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Making a scope

Posted By Gary Davis

I have a 6inch f/8 mirror to mount in a 7 inch tube. The tube is 50 inches in length and 7 inchs ID. I have mounted the mirror cell, that was easy. The cell is mounted inside the tube 1 inch with the mirror it will extend into the tube 1 7/8 inches. I now need to know where to mount the focuser to the tube. The secondary is 1.3 inches MA. Or maybe one can send me to a website that has the formula for the needed measurements. I don't want to punch a hole in the wrong place.

October 7, 2002 11:43 AM Forum: Eyepieces

What are these ?

Posted By Gary Davis

I have three EP's that we think came from Edmund. They are marked as follows. 1/2"FL. 1/4"FL. And 1"FL. I would like to convert them to a metric unit "IE MM". They work very well with my long focal length reflector.

October 21, 2002 02:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Where to find it.............

Posted By Gary Davis

I want to find a 4.5 inch primary mirror. Not just any run of the mill with 1/4 wave ratings. I want sharp images and the ability to use high powers. Even 1/10 wave will not fit my needs. You guys who know mirrors know what I want. Where do I find this mirror ? Sick of the mass produced junk and what most people think is good. I'm sick of blobs of light instead of airy disks. Don't suggest refractors I already have that but its not what I want.

October 21, 2002 02:47 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Where to find it...................

Posted By Gary Davis

I want to find a 4.5 inch primary mirror. Not just any run of the mill with 1/4 wave ratings. I want sharp images and the ability to use high powers. Even 1/10 wave will not fit my needs. You guys who know mirrors know what I want. Where do I find this mirror ? Sick of the mass produced junk and what most people think is good. I'm sick of blobs of light instead of airy disks. Don't suggest refractors I already have that but its not what I want. Can't make my own. No where to do it.