Posts Made By: Gary Davis

May 20, 2003 05:34 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

C5 vs. C102 vs. F5 6inch Newt

Posted By Gary Davis

Ron,

I to have a six inch f/5. The picture seems to be a bit off axis, showing the blue fringe and red fringe. Your eye will do this as well if you fail to position your eye in the center of the glass, not all EP's do this. Seeing could be the problem. Check each night to see if it gets better and don't rush to a conclusion, as a quick view of jupiter is sometimes mis-leading. How good is your star test ? I'm sure you know about cool-down and warm-up, right ? Also try your view overhead "jupiter just as the sun begins to set" as much as you can. Jupiter is getting lower in the sky with each passing day. I have no opinion on the C102 or C5. One thing though, is this scope an Event Horizon ? If so, you need a different primary for better images. By the way, do you have good eyepieces for your scope ? With more information we can help you further !!

June 4, 2003 04:47 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Ngc Max 'Encoder error'

Posted By Gary Davis

Jay,

I have the NGC-Max. You may have to enter encoder #1 as a (-)negative number (-08192). If you can easily dismount the encoders you can turn them slowly by hand while in the encoder test page. I once had a brand new encoder that did not work. They are fussy and can be damaged as they are optical and subject to static discharge. Try the negative then get back to us and let us know if it works.

June 4, 2003 07:18 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Re: Silvering & Aluminizing - some comments

Posted By Gary Davis

Steve,

I am trying to locate a site that sells a covering for mirrors. I just cannot remember where I found it. I remember they had baader products, a baader contrast filter and a few other products. If I can find them I will let you know.

June 4, 2003 07:27 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Re: Silvering & Aluminizing - some comments

Posted By Gary Davis

Steve,

I found that site its alpineastro.com/product_listing.htm. Its the item called Baader Turbo Film. They may not have any at this time. I think theres some info on it somewhere on that site.

June 5, 2003 08:29 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Why can't we all just get along!

Posted By Gary Davis

Leslie,

I think they have all left the building. It has ended, over, kaput !! No audiance, no problem.

June 6, 2003 02:25 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Seeing Question

Posted By Gary Davis

Steve,

I believe you may have the answer with the "low level" jet. It sure fits the description to a tee. For the last two summers I have struggled through this, now I know. Its the pits and seems to cover the whole valley "over 300 miles long and 140 miles wide" when it begins. No way to out-run it so, I will have to take my scope or scopes up above 4,000 ft. Thanks so much for finding that info !! I even feel better just because I know what it is now. I just cannot wait to move back to Arizona, my home state.

June 12, 2003 11:48 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Coating disaster

Posted By Gary Davis

I really cannot help much, other than to offer an, I'm sorry this happened, thats alot of work. Stay cool, calm and collected. Things will work out better than you think, although it might take a little time.

July 19, 2003 05:46 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Secondary mirror position

Posted By Gary Davis

Does not sound correct. Can you use the laser as just a dot and not a holograph ? If so, we can help you. The holograph is good for fine work but not so good for the rough stuff. I myself only use the laser to get things started after that I use "like yourself" a small collimating cap. When looking down the focuser you should be able to see the secondary reflection in the center of the primary if not then something is not lined up properly. I already know its a bit hard to descibe in words what you see. I think it best to start over but we need one laser dot.

July 22, 2003 06:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

star testing

Posted By Gary Davis

Mark,

If I were to star test side by side two scopes I would have to consider that #1 "a small scope has a larger airy disc" #2 "the magnifaction is not the same per inch" I would try again later. The tiny airy disc in your 10 inch requires alot of magnifaction. I'm sure there may be other reasons as well. I bet your 10 inch is just fine !

July 22, 2003 06:50 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Siliconed Mirror

Posted By Gary Davis

add to my prior post.

As long as the mirror is kept cold it works fine. If it warms it becomes really bad. Its kept outside covered in the shade so its almost always at the outside tempature. So, in the winter it works great. In the summer it does not. I must have gotten a winter only mirror! Strange, I feel it must be the adhesive, now to remove it, it will be difficult