My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tom Tolla

June 9, 2002 09:13 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Lumicon GEG

Posted By Tom Tolla

I'm thinking about the purchase of a GEG for my LX 200 10".
Where would one attach a Light Pollution Reduction filter to the GEG, if it uses the 80mm threads as an attachment point? Help Help !!!

June 13, 2002 03:26 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Roof top Pier Construction

Posted By Tom Tolla

I am currently constructing a second floor master bedroom suite with a uncovered porch. Great place for my LX200 10" pier mounted. I planned to use a 6" steel pier attaching it to the building corner of the walls below. it will be isolated from the porch floor. Any other ideas on controlling vibration to the pier? This location will be used for astrophotography.

Thanks for the help,
Tom

July 12, 2002 01:23 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Pulsating LX200 RA drive

Posted By Tom Tolla

Being the new owner of a used LX200 10" , I am puzzled by the following problem. When I use the keypad to adjust the scope in RA, the drive motor pulsates which causes a jittery image. I removed the bottom of the base on a suggestion from Meade. Hoping to find a bur or stiff grease on the drive gear, I found that the gear shaft and motor seem to be moving constantly back and forth only a fraction of a degree. This movement is reflected on the ammeter as a pulse. This pulsing movement of the RA motor causes the scope to jitter when using all of the RA speeds except for the high speed slewing. Does anyone know what could be causing this erratic behavior??????? please help

November 16, 2002 10:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Flip Mirror for my ST-4 ?

Posted By Tom Tolla

I have been searching for a flip mirror for use with my ST4. I have read of so many disappointed ST-4 / flip mirror users. This seems to include "Flip-mate" owners.
Which unit seems to work best ?

Thanks for your input,

Tom Tolla

December 7, 2002 11:27 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Stuck on Saturn

Posted By Tom Tolla

I would be most grateful for help with stacking my Saturn images. Imaged Saturn last night with my LX200 10" f6.3 coupled with my ToU-Cam Pro in video mode at 20fps. HOW do I view single frames to weed out the bad?

I moved the file into a downloaded version of Astro-Stack
, but can't seem to achieve the right results. I am also using Photoshop "Elements" as image editing software.

What am I doing wrong? focus? 20fps? stacking? seeing?

Thanks for your input,
Clear Skies,

Tom Tolla

December 11, 2002 02:53 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn Improvement

Posted By Tom Tolla

Hello All,
I took this improved (over my last one) image of Saturn last night. Not the best seeing but had to try.

LX200 10" f6.3
Tou cam pro / 2x barlow
151 of 184 frames stacked and adjusted in Registax

Thanks for the previous help.

Clear Skies,
Tom Tolla

January 19, 2003 05:59 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn for the 3rd time

Posted By Tom Tolla

Took this image last night before the Full Moon took over.

Meade LX 200 f/6.3
Televue 5x Powermate
ToUcam Pro

Best 178 images of 370 sorted and stacked in Registax. Then sharpened and blurred in Photoshop Elements.

Clear skies to all,
Tom

February 24, 2003 03:30 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Processing ideas for Jupiter

Posted By Tom Tolla

I just sorted through 400 frames taken on 2/19, these are the best 4 stacked in Registax then some unsharp mask and blur in Photoshop Elements. Is there any other processing that I could be doing to help pull out more detail, or just keep trying for clearer images to stack and better seeing conditions to use my 5x Powermate?

Scope Info:

LX200 f6.3
Ultima 2x Barlow
ToUcam Pro (in manual mode)

Perhaps someone knows of a Freeware download that may help so I can avoid purchasing Photoshop 7.0 for now ??

Thanks for your help,
Dark (and Clear) Skies to all,

Tom Tolla

March 24, 2003 10:08 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Help.......Trapped in my laptop

Posted By Tom Tolla

Hello all,

Early(very early) this morning, I was having what seemed to be a great imaging moment of Jupiter with my ToUcam Pro.

After after recording each 6-700 frame AVI (total of about 6 ) I would save each file as usual. When I tried to move one of the clips to Registax I found that it would only recognize one of my avi's. This one seemed to find its way to " Realplayer". The rest of the avi's (or are they no longer avi's ? ) seemed to be able to be opened only with MS Mediaplayer2. What Have I Done ?? How can I open these files in Registax ?

Please pardon my lack of computer knowledge as I am a seasoned Home Builder but apprentice Astro Imager.

Thanks for your help and Clear Skies,

Tom Tolla

July 1, 2003 05:25 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars 6-26

Posted By Tom Tolla

Finally processed my Mars AVI from last week. Sure wish my scope was an f10 now ! Do all you ToUcam users experience a high rate of dropped frames with the supplied capture software?

-LX200 10" f6.3
-Televue 2" diagonal
-Ultima 2x Barlow
-ToUcam Pro web cam
-Best 212 frames of 1832, stacked with Registax, processed
with wavelets then in Photoshop Elements.

Clear skies to all,
Tom