My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Miguel Olivares

July 30, 2002 10:06 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Re: Maps using Telrad finder

Posted By Miguel Olivares

SkyAtlas 2000 includes a transparency sheet with several guides, including the Telrad. Starry Night also has it, you could even customize your own with the Pro version.

September 11, 2002 10:48 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

New Moon in orbit?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2251386.stm

Anyone have more info?

September 29, 2002 07:51 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Just saw Uranus & Neptune!! -- 1st time!

Actually, I saw them a few nights ago, but they were smaller than I thought. For some reason I was expecting to see the discs at low power(50x). I confused them for stars, gave up in frustration and blamed (cursed) light pollution on my misfortune.

Tonight I kept going in and out of the house to compare the star fields on my computer. Uranus' disc was easy to see at 145x and 416x and perceived a greenish hue.

Neptune was harder. Perhaps I didn't try hard enough, but I could not see its disc and only saw a point of light. I know I was in the right place because I checked its position a couple of times.

It will be interesting to track them over the next week or until it gets cloudy. Only pluto is left now. Argggh!

I don't have the greatest telescope there is, but it has surprised me a few times.

Miguel

February 7, 2003 01:40 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Silly me

I, Miguel O., in the presence of these persons assembled, take thee, LX10, to be my telescope, according to God's holy ordinance and in the conformity with the laws of the State of New York. With my worldly goods I thee endow, and I sacredly promise to cheer, comfort and support thee, and to keep myself true to thee, as long as we both shall live, and thereto I plight thee my troth.

February 24, 2003 09:41 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Puzzle

Where does the extra square come from?

Don't look!
http://www.highiqsociety.org/common/puzzles/solution03.htm

February 28, 2003 01:27 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Grand Canyon tips

Hi,

I am planning a trip for mid May to the south rim. We will stay there for a week and plan to hike down to the river and stay overnight. I've been doing some research of my own and I'd like to hear from your experiences at the canyon. Any tips, ideas, or unforeseen surprises I should be aware of?

I plan to take a refractor with me (new Burgess 4".) Should I keep it with me on the plane or trust the airline with it? Same question for my camera equipment and eyepieces.

I am also working on a list of objects to see from that latitude. Any "best kept secrets?"

Any help/comments is appreciated.

Thanks
Me∙gE'l

March 28, 2003 08:13 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

The world gone MAD!

This was sent to me in an e-mail. Made me chuckle :-)

"You know the world's gone mad when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the USA of arrogance and the Germans don't want to go to war!"

April 6, 2003 11:22 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

NEXT ON NOVA:

"RUNAWAY UNIVERSE"

http://www.pbs.org/nova/universe/

Broadcast: April 8, 2003
(NOVA airs Tuesdays on PBS at 8 p.m. Check your local listings as
dates and times may vary.)

NOVA presents an exploration of quintessence -- the mysterious repulsive
force that some scientists believe counteracts gravity. The program
follows the efforts of two rival teams of astronomers as they search for
exploding stars, map out cosmic patterns of galaxies, and grapple with
the ultimate question: What is the fate of the universe?

April 20, 2003 09:27 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Some of my photography

Not astro... maybe we need a forum for that? :-)

Hope you like...

Central Park West

May 29, 2003 08:11 PM Forum: DVDs and Music and Books That You Recommend

STOMP

If you live in New York, or just visiting go see this show. It is amazing! You won't regret it...

http://www.theatermania.com/ny/shows/stomp/