Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Andromeda Galaxy M31

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Sol Robbins

November 20, 2002 04:01 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Drawing 11.20.02

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,
This morning presented excellent seeing conditions. 8-9/10. Though I spent most of my time observing Saturn,,(incredible at 375x and a little less so at 428x).

Jupiter is just starting to show activity that's easy to hold visually. Probably because its
apparent size is growing. In 3 or 4 weeks Jupiter will be approx. 3/4 of the way to its largest apparent size.

Attached is a drawing of Jupiter I made from this observing session.

Sol Robbins

December 4, 2002 02:19 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Ganymede Shadow Transit

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Weather conditions have been so-so for me this past week. Still, I attemped to make a drawing in spite of seeing conditions. Hopefully, I will be able to get more observing time of the GRS as it is showing changes.

Below was from this morning's Ganymede shadow transit.

Sol Robbins

December 7, 2002 10:23 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn 12.7.02

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Had pretty good conditions last night. Below is a drawing of Saturn. What I have really come to notice when observing Saturn is that the SEB usually appears to have a ragged edge. In CCD images it appears smooth. As of yet, I still have not been able to see the newly discovered white spot. It is low contrast, but I'll keep on looking for it.

Thanks, Sol Robbins

December 8, 2002 03:50 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 12.08.02 SEB Activity

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had really good seeing conditions this morning. This was fortunate since it coincided with an Io transit and the crossing of the GRS.

It seems the GRS is darkening and elongating. This activity seems to be effecting the SEB withits center appearing "chopped up". Really something to see.

The NEB's north and south edges also appear to be more ragged this as compared to the last apparition.

Sol Robbins

December 13, 2002 03:14 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Drawing 12.13.02

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

My thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. There's a lot of good things going on here.

Here's another drawing. I believe that the turbulence following the GRS has grown in length and width. Same for the GRS complex. Additionally, I think the GRS is a bit darker than when I last observed it on 12.8.02. The NTEB is lighter & the STEB is very dark

Sol Robbins

December 14, 2002 05:42 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

December Review

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

There has been a lot a good information and images being posted here. I participate in a few other e-groups. This said, thanks to all for keeping the signal to noise ratio focused.

I have found that the last 2 weeks has shown rapid visible changes in the gas giants' appearance and has been evidenced by the the observations shared within this group. I think that Graeme's Ganymede tansit observation is one of the more interesting ones in that Graeme traced it across Jupiter's disc and noted color Ganymede's changes. I could be wrong, but I believe planetary scientists use this info quantitatively to determine zone brightness of Jupiter's bands.

Anyway, thanks again to eveyone's partcipation here. I know I have benefited greatly from eveyone's experiences.

Sol Robbins

December 21, 2002 01:11 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 12.21.02

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had fairly good seeing conditions till a cloud rolled over Jupiter.

Sol Robbins

December 22, 2002 01:25 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Happy Holiday

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

A very happy, peaceful holiday to everyone, their friends and family.

Sol Robbins

December 29, 2002 11:34 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn 12.29.02

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had very good seeing conditions to make this drawing. The A and B rings were noticeably brighter on the right side of the drawing.

This is probably my most accurate Saturn sketch to date.

Thanks, Sol Robbins

January 15, 2003 11:56 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 01.16.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Had reasonable but freezing conditions for the Io transit.