Posts Made By: Sol Robbins

April 29, 2003 02:52 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 4.28.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had excellent and balmy conditions for observing tonight. The big surprise was that one of my neighbors walks up to my house with a Tele Vue 102 apo. This was his graduating up from a Celestron 80mm. achromat. We set about comparing views between the TV 102 and my 6" Skywatcher with Chromacor. I stopped my aperture down to 112mm., (4.4").

It was enjoyable and short evening. Though past opposition, there's a lot to be said for observing Jupiter in a Tee shirt instead of the Arctic conditions at the height of opposition.

I made a sketch of Jupiter with my stopped down scope.

Thanks, Sol Robbins

May 31, 2003 03:52 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Good Bye to Jupiter 5.30.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

The sky had cleared as the sun set in the Northeast. I was able to catch Jupiter while it was still light out. At this point I was just happy to get some telescope time between clouds.

Anyway, attached is a drawing made without artificial illumination.

Sol Robbins

June 2, 2003 09:44 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars 6.2.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Well I finally got to observe Mars for the first time this year. At 12", it certainly took well to high magnification. Additionally, the Planetary Contrast version of my Variable Filter worked better than I had expected, cutting through some flutter due to seeing conditions and some atmospheric refraction, while not messing around with the image too much. The Wratten 25 and 23 filters were just way too dark for me.

Anyway, with Mars looking this good with average seeing, I can't wait till it grows to twice the apparent size.

Sol Robbins

June 10, 2003 09:17 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars 6.10.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Had excellent and balmy conditions for Mars this morning. Below is a sketch from this morning's observing.

Sol Robbins

June 24, 2003 08:51 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars 2003.6.24

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had very good conditions for Mars this morning. The most rock solid seeing I've had in a long time though transparency was average. Anyway, Mars was showing its "good" side at 400x in my refractor.

Just a note on the filter I used. This is a beta version of Sirius Optic's PC filter which is really close to being a true RGB - 3 peak filter. In conjunction with the Chromacor, Martian detail was amazing.

I think I'll have to find a different kind of drawing paper in order to get smoother tones and better ability to stand up to blend/lift techniques with an eraser.

Sol Robbins

June 26, 2003 09:36 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars again 6.26.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Once again the sky co-operated for some rewarding Mars observing.

There seemed to be less limb and NPR brightening this time around.

I also used a setting on my variable filter that presented Mars' dark features in a somewhat different way. The overall tint was a very light orange-"coral" color. This setting squashed out the limb brightening all-together, and deepened red features a bit more than my so-called RGB filter setting. While it still darkened the dark features, (green), this provided some slightly different looking tonal variations in these darker features which was not quite what I expected to see.

I guess at this point, I'm really trying to see what kind of break-up of details can be seen in the larger and darker Martian features. As time goes on, I hope to concentrate on other features like any brighter condensations appearing in the Mars' plains.

Sol Robbins

July 2, 2003 09:36 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars 7.02.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had relatively good seeing for Mars this morning. Mare Siremun, Eridania, Mare Cimmerium and Syrtis Minor were positioned well. Additionally, I could hold Electris visually from time to time. Hellas & Syrtis Major were following. I was lucky to get this drawing done before a cloud bank rolled in.

I also got to try a so-called new Mars filter. I believe this filter only allows the blues and greens, then attenuates or cuts out the yellows, then allows the oranges and reds. Basically, it is a notch filter with all higher transissions being in the 90-995 percentile. The attenuated notch is squashed down to around 10% or less. My take on this is that the overall tint/redition could be a little bit redder. I imagine that this beta filter will change a bit. This way the red features could appear redder and the dark features could be a little darker. This filter presented a slight greenish polar cap as well. I guess all I'm trying to say is that the green could be cut a little bit. My personal preference is to skip green image renditions when it comes to Mars. I have already been told the that notch will be moved about 15 nanometers toward the left-greenish end. I think that this may work out for the better. I'll report any progress that may be made regarding the possibility of any new interference filters.

Sol Robbins

July 4, 2003 09:28 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

7.04.03 Another Mars Sketch

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I uploaded yet another sketch of Mars. Seeing was very good and I used some different filter settings which slightly changed the kind of details viewed. The upshot of this is not only to "break" the darker features, but also the lighter ones as well.

Happt holiday to all.

Sol Robbins

July 15, 2003 08:50 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars Sketch 7.15.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had very good seeing conditions while making this Mars sketch. Additionally, Mars' image size was noticeably larger since the last time I had good conditions last July 4th.

I guess the stand-out features for me during this observation is being somewhat successful in seeing the break up in the Amazonis region. Though subtle, I tried to render the brightening I saw on the "following", sunrise side-left side in drawing. Chryse's brightness is a bit exaggerated. Also, what I believe to be Pyrhale Regio, on the sunrise limb, seemed very bright, brighter than Argyre.

Please keep in mind that the filter system I use could have played "tricks" with the apparent brightnesses mentioned.

Also, thanks to Carlos H. & Jeff B. for helping me out with being able to name some of these geographic features. I guess that I may be able to understand some of these better before this opposition is over.

Thanks,

Sol Robbins

July 15, 2003 05:38 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

New Mars Filter

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

As some of you know, I use the Variable Filter System from Sirius Optics, which is a bit pricey. Using a 6" scope, 2 versions of this filter have worked really well for me. IMO, I find them to work better than the Wrattens.

Anyway, I played a very small part in beta testing a so-called "Mars" filter. The latest version has arrived. By just looking at stuff around the house, this filter demonstrably heightens all reds, greens, blue/greens and blues. Yellows get squashed and are turned into an very light salmon or orange color. I believe that this filter will be one of the best for Mars and possibly some other objects. It looks like it may squash some sodium vapor light lines as well, so it may act like a light weight LPR filter.

This filter took a short time to develope. I was told that they are now available from retailers at $40 US. Past experience has shown me that S.O. filters are pretty much transparent to all usable magnifications.

Below is a scan of the filter I received today. I let you know how well it does at my earliest opportunity.

I hope you don't think this to be a gosh posting,

Sol Robbins