From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

NGC 1977 HaB-RGB

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Greg Kim

November 4, 2003 10:26 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

5" Meade on the cheep

Posted By Greg Kim

Here is a 5" Meade mirror in a 7.75" sono tube with a 1.5" secondary flocked tube and the Matrix Reloaded, 2" focuser and you can see M45 in the entire field of view with a 35 mm 2" EP. Mounts to a CG-5 with a dovetail held by super long "hose clamps." Cost in materials under $100, cost in time ... way more but fun. I guessed at the focal length for the secondary distance between the primary mirror and I have a double image of Mars, is it too long or too short? This is F8 5" and the distance I used is 35" (primary to secondary in tube) and focuser is racked out almost to the limit to achieve focus. I know f8 at 5" is 40" but the original Meade 5" newt was listed at 38" overall length so I figured 2 to 3 inches less than the overall original length as most secondary are recessed in the tube.
Anybody know what the solution is to the double image.
P.S. The seconday is from a 4.5" el cheap o Bushnell (awaiting original Meade seconday).

December 3, 2003 09:13 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Gem or blem- Meade Blue Starfinder 8" EQ

Posted By Greg Kim

Here is a Meade Starfinder 8" on a Eq mount it appears to be original except for the finder (original had broken lens so I replaced). It is the ac drive and it has the aluminum mount rings instead of the straps the newer ones have and there is a dec fine adjustment knob just below the rear mount ring. Also there is a real mirror cell not the current particle board cell. The focuser is the screw type not the rack and pinion and there is a metal eyepiece tray attached to the pier and the end rings appear to be aluminum.
Due to rainy weather lately I have not used it much yet but views appear really good with fair collimation.
Is it a gem or a blem as most Meades I've seen are black not aluminum on the legs and the tubes are white with the rack and pinion focuser. Any idea the year these were made?

March 27, 2004 11:47 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

First light

Posted By Greg Kim

For the stool!
After viewing standing up with my 8" Starhopper because the viewing stool I got with it was too low, I finally got the right height by accident. My son came home from school with his shop project (which I had no clue of what they were working on) I said let's see that and wouldn't you know it, it was just the right height for my DOB sitting down and viewing at all angles.
If you are all standing or bending your back get the right height sit down and start enjoying the view longer, it's the most relaxing views I've had with this scope.(My son doesn't want to give up his project to me but I'm working on him.)

April 25, 2004 04:40 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Scopes please Scopes

Posted By Greg Kim

How about some scopes I love to see different scopes.

January 20, 2005 10:57 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Photogenic Couple and

Posted By Greg Kim

I've always thought outward beauty must be backed up by inner beauty as well and this couple is no exception... and look at the little one they had. (Celestron 9.25 & Ultima 2000 and the little SPC-6)
Anymore couples out there?

February 3, 2005 06:32 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Scopes Please 2

Posted By Greg Kim

I'd like to see more interesting scope again so I though I'd start a past thread that was very successful, the sequel if you will and I'll start it off with a Byers 812 photo and an Orion 10" Dob newtonian.

Greg

May 21, 2005 01:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Burgess Binoviewer Great Value

Posted By Greg Kim

Wanted to tell everyone with a Schmidt Cassegrain thinking about trying a binoviewer to get this one as a great introduction to, and possibly all you will need. At $199 with 2 17mm wide angle eps its an unreal deal.
On plantes,Mars,Jupiter,Saturn,Neptune
all are much easier to see detail, collimation is excellent and eye relief is for regular vision only. The current model has 3 nylon screws to hold each ep, not just one. Saw M13,92,15,81,82,57,27 no problems from backyard in 10" SCH, scaleing was good.
I am very satisfied with my first bino experience.
Greg

June 6, 2005 05:28 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Untouched photo- lucky shot

Posted By Greg Kim

Facing west at the Moon and Saturn 5-11-2005.
The uncompressed version shows much more color in the lights leading to the Moon.

September 15, 2005 03:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

LX 50 goes "wedgeless"

Posted By Greg Kim

Food for thought if you have a box like I do.
No need to lug the tripod and wedge outside and then polar align to track the stars here, just lay that 40 LBS on top, point and secure the RA and DEC locks and you are tracking. You are also essentially in the Alt/Az mode of viewing as well on an LX 50 that is not normally possible. Setup time... as quick as you can get it from inside to outside.

Greg

October 6, 2005 10:46 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

One eye observing vs. two

Posted By Greg Kim

Ok here we go...two eyes are always better than one and I have only one ep to look through...but I still view certain objects with both eyes open in certain situations...anyone else know what I'm talking about? :S (To be clear I'm not wearing an eye patch.)

Greg