New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Greg Kim

November 21, 2007 03:17 AM Forum: Celestron

Metal shavings in My C11

Posted By Greg Kim

Robert
The best thing is to remove the corrector and clean the shavings if they are more than dust like particles that will float around the inside of the scope. But if they cling to the secondary housing very well leave it alone as performance will not be affected. The corrector can easily be removed and replaced but follow the previous post's cautions. Worse case is the particles stay at the bottom of the scope but the chance of them hitting a the mirror in normal use is very remote. You can also go through the back of the scope where the visual back is and go into the scope that way with double sided tape on a wire to pick up the particles if you have shaken then to the bottom of the scope. Some bending is required as you go through the hole and I would cover the wire with rubber vacume tubing from the auto parts store. Also be careful not to hit the secondary by going in too far with the wire before the bend.

The last method is the trickiest but potentially leaves the scope intact with no alterations (no need to collminate mirrors) but it is very risky.
The first is the best.
For Prevention... always always install screws with the scope above the screws, thread first without the accessory to make sure it goes in smoothly and backing out the screw will let any shavings fall out not in.

Regards,
Greg

June 6, 2008 01:00 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Take a Seat... Lightbridge 12"

Posted By Greg Kim

Phillip
Great shot, and the clean view of the horizon is enviable.

Regards,
Greg

November 8, 2008 02:29 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

c8 vs 8" dob

Posted By Greg Kim

I'll go against the grain and say the SCH. A dew shield will take care of the corrector. The longer focal length of the SCH produces great planetary images. The SCH is more compact, most have tracking motors. You can flock a SCH as well for better contrast, the setting circles aid in finding objects. I like the looks of them. The mirrors on 99% of them never need to be recoated ever. Once the mirrors are aligned it will last a long time. There are all kinds of accessories for a SCH to keep you interested. I like the looks of them (I know I said that before). My quick look scope is a C8, my other quick look is a 10" dob.
The 10" wins barlowed and that's the way to go not the 8's. If I had to choose I'd however keep the C8 because it's timeless.
Now if you still want the reflector the question was 8" f10 eq mount or 8" F6 dob and I just realized the 8" f10 is going to be 80 inches long! The choice is easy here the 8" F6 as you will need a ladder or small step stool on the 8" F10 at the zenith, no fun at all. You can barlow the 8" f6 and compesate easily and the field of view on the 8" F6 will be wider for a given eyepiece. The 8" f6 dob will be the easist to use of the 3 but I still like the C8. You can't have just one you know. I never will.

Regards,
Greg

November 9, 2008 02:38 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Chiefland 2008

Posted By Greg Kim

Guy
This got me there:
start here to copy (not on the blue and move down) http://flickr.com/photos/28447916@N07/___________
You have to paste up to the forward slash in your browsers address bar (in blue only)

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Greg

August 27, 2009 05:11 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Wednesday Evenng Double Shadow Transit.

Posted By Greg Kim

Jon
I saw it but I saw 3 "shadows" for the first time I can remember. Wow that's as much activity in an hour and a half that I've seen in a while with the moons reappearing out of the planets main body.

Greg

January 24, 2010 03:25 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Moon Hay stacks

Posted By Greg Kim

Yes the rain stopped just long enough to take a peek at Mars and the moon and long enough for me to take a photo through the EP to show what I ment. What I find interesting about this area is it's a crater with 2 hits that are raised up above the crater and only show up when the terminator is just right, I don't recall seeing it show like it did last night so pronounced but then I don't peek religously at the Moon but it did really stand out with siginifance last night to get my attention. The photos of course do not even come close to doing justice to the real view seen through the ep.

Regards,
Greg

March 29, 2011 01:46 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

SM40/BF10

Posted By Greg Kim

Unreal, unreal! I just put my Berges bino in the BF10 using the only pair of bino eps I have a pair of 25mm Meade eps and a barlow to come to focus and this thing popped like I have never seen the Sun. For sure this is the way to go. The surface detail was absolutely beyond anything the PST has done for me. It was almost 3D and I'll have to do a better setup now to allow for balancing the bino as I was only hand holding it in the BF10 to make do. It looked like the promo photos Coronado did in their ads, I mean wow.

Greg

June 6, 2012 04:42 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Venus Transit

Posted By Greg Kim

Hello all,
I saw the transit of Venus on first contact and it stayed clear till about 7PM Pacific

Greg

September 22, 2012 04:37 AM Forum: N.A.S.A.

Moffett Field Shuttle's Last flight.

Posted By Greg Kim

The approach shot helps verify location.

Regards,
Greg

August 6, 2014 06:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Transport/mobility for Skywatcher 12" collapsible

Posted By Greg Kim

Hi Dan,
I have actually used a collapsible dolly to move my 13.1 Coulter scope around. The dolly is available at home improvement stores and folds flat, it seems as if it would not hold any weight but it can easily handle the 12" you have. Most of time I don't even use a safety strap.

Regards,
Greg