Posts Made By: Danny Halstead

April 17, 2003 09:03 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Oberwerk 100mm Binocular Telecope

Posted By Danny Halstead

UPS just delivered one pair of Oberwerk 100mm Astronomical Binoculars from Big Binoculars http://www.oberwerk.com/bigbinos/ plus a Unistar deluxe mount and Heavy duty Oberwerk Surveyors tripod. Although at this point all I have been able to do is unpack every thing and nothing more (Oregon rain) I would like to say a few things. Physical inspection of the equipment has exceeded all my expectations. Talk about industrial grade. Short of a nuclear holocaust my great grandchildren will be using this equipment. Fit and finish is top notch. I did a trade in of some equipment in obtaining these with Big Bino and they were very fair and up front. No low-ball no surprises. I have to say up to this point that Kevin Busarow the owner of the business has been just short of incredible. Honest to a fault, full of information, and the kind of patience it takes to deal with an obsessed guy who suffers from OCD when it comes to astronomy. There are definetly some people in buisness who could take lessons from Kevin regarding customer relations. No matter how the product performs I have no qualms about Kevin standing behind it. Although I am aware that I follow the footsteps of others in this forum, regarding these particular Bino’s, I will as the opportunity allows be giving my 2c on where the pedal meats the metal (night sky performance). Until then I would like to thank all you folks in this forum for the information you have shared.It was helpfull and instrumental in my decision process.
R/S,
Dan

April 17, 2003 09:13 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Oberwerk 100mm Binocular Telescope

Posted By Danny Halstead

My new toy. Just got it and if there is anyone out there who has one like it I would enjoy trading thoughts and experience with them.
Respectfully,
Dan

April 17, 2003 09:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Oberwerk Binocular Telescope

Posted By Danny Halstead

My new toy. Just got it and if there is anyone out there who has one like it I would enjoy trading thoughts and experience with them.
Respectfully,
Dan

April 22, 2003 04:50 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Polystar

Posted By Danny Halstead

I have seen photo's and referances to the Polystar observatory but cannot locate an internet site for them as I would like to check it out. Could someone please post a link to the Polystar location so that I might purchase plans, a kit or whatever manner in which it comes.
Thanks for reading this.
Dan

May 9, 2003 06:47 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Coronado versus Thousand Oaks

Posted By Danny Halstead

Although considering the name for this group I may not get an unbiased opinion still I hope to get some needed information. Why is Coronado's h -alpha system so much more expensive than Thousand Oaks. I am looking for somthing to use on my 8in SCT and you can get the entire set-up for $840.00 from Thousand Oaks. The best I can find from Coronado is $3,399.00 as it appears that due to my focal length I have to go with the 60 t max setup. Any input would be most appreciated. Respectfully,
Dan

May 9, 2003 06:54 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Coranado versus Thousand Oaks

Posted By Danny Halstead

I am in need of some information/explanation.Why is Coronado's H -Alpha system so much more expensive than Thousand Oaks. I am looking for somthing to use on my 8in SCT and you can get the entire set-up for $840.00 from Thousand Oaks. The best I can find from Coronado is $3,399.00 as it appears that due to my focal length I have to go with the 60 t max setup. Any input would be most appreciated. Respectfully,
Dan

May 9, 2003 06:55 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Coronado versus Thousand Oaks

Posted By Danny Halstead

I am in need of some information/explanation.Why is Coronado's H -Alpha system so much more expensive than Thousand Oaks. I am looking for somthing to use on my 8in SCT and you can get the entire set-up for $840.00 from Thousand Oaks. The best I can find from Coronado is $3,399.00 as it appears that due to my focal length I have to go with the 60 t max setup. Any input would be most appreciated. Respectfully,
Dan

May 12, 2003 03:45 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Astronomy Day Display

Posted By Danny Halstead

Friends,
As you know Astronomy and CCD imaging has become a passion for me. Yesterday was National Astronomy Day. The following are some photo's of me with some of my equipment which was on display for the Eugene Astronomical Society. On one end is my telescope setup for CCD imaging and on the other end is my Binocular telescope. In between on the two tables is some more accessories that I use including my laptop.Anyway thought you folks would like to see some of my toys. I would like to see some of yours as well.
Later,
Dan

June 4, 2003 03:21 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Bushnell 7x26 Custom Compact-Help!

Posted By Danny Halstead

Folks,
I have owned these binoculars since I bought them new close to 29 years ago. I have just ordered a pair of Swarovski 10x25. I have all ways felt that the best Binoculars are the ones you have with you when you need them there fore I use the most portable and carry them most of the time. Here is my question. I know that Bushnell is not necessarily known for high-end optics. However these little bino's that I have had for years provide the most incredible clarity, 7-degree field of view, very bright and I can look through them for hours with no headache. I have looked through other binoculars of various qualities and none of them have exceeded these by very much if any at all for all around experience. Was there a period of time in which Bushnell had some extraordinary optics or some thing? These binoculars still have the made in Japan sticker on them. I have always wondered about this and have even had others look through them to find that they agree as well in terms of the viewing experience. Any input on these binoculars would sure be appreciated.
Dan Halstead

July 1, 2003 10:07 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My New Travel Toy

Posted By Danny Halstead

Hello all,
I have been wanting to get something that I could take with me when I fly or just to grab for a quick viewing session. With the equipement I have now it takes some time and real muscle to set up. I love it but I am not getting any younger and to often I will step outside and just want to take a quick look at the moon or what ever happens to catch my fancy. Even my big Bino's(100mm x25 ) take a little time as they weigh 26lbs. Anyway this little 3.5 Questar hopefully will fill the bill.
R/S,
Dan