New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Bernard Kean

June 5, 2004 04:39 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Alum vs Stainless mirror cell triangles

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hi David
I've never made a mirror cell but it seems to me that the issues of weight, flexure, expansion, etc., each has pro's and con's which make it a wash. But coming from a machining point of view, the aluminum would be much easier to work with.
Just my $.02
Buck

June 8, 2004 12:10 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Correct Image Newtonian

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hi David
The only company that I'm aware of that makes a 2" erect image diagonal is Williams Optics, however it is a 45*. If you can so with 1.25" eyepieces or want to keep it straight thru than there are several to chose from and I would also suggest the TV Porro 1.25.
Hope this helps
Buck

June 14, 2004 06:24 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Source for 2" OD .065 Thickness Aluminum Tube?

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hi Rod
Try Online Metals, I've used them before. They do have your size.

www.onlinemetals.com

Hope this helps
Buck

June 15, 2004 11:05 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Calling all small refractor owners!

Posted By Bernard Kean

Joe
There are 2 SV78S on auction right now from Anacortes that might be worth looking into.
Buck

June 18, 2004 06:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dob slow-motion controls

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hi Craig
Changing eyepieces is usually not much of a problem unless you are going from a very large 2" eyepiece to a lightweight 1.25" eyepiece. I have a Hardin DSH8" and can go from a 26mm Nagler (25.6 oz) to a 13.mm Nagler (6.4 oz) and don't have any problems. You do have to be gentle so as not to move the mount while doing this but not a big problem at all.
Buck

June 20, 2004 09:47 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

New pluck foam for Meade EP case (#771)?

Posted By Bernard Kean

Chris
Do a Google search for "pluck Foam" and you will get a boat load of places to get it from and take your pick.
Hope this helps
Buck

June 27, 2004 06:49 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Free Ebony Star

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hi Joe
Try Meridian Telescopes, they have various sizes of virgin teflon and not expensive. I purchased some 1"x12"x1/8" for $7 + shipping. They even take PayPal which made it very fast and easy to order.
Hope this helps
Buck

July 9, 2004 08:20 PM Forum: Mounts

Gibraltar 5 Mount for FS102

Posted By Bernard Kean

Kyle
Could you explain what you mean by "the mount appears too small". Are you having trouble with the TAK on the Gibraltar? If so what problems are you having? I have a TV101 on a Gibraltar and many others have NP101's, and even the heavy brass SDF models on them and they work fine. I've never seen a Gibraltar 5 but I would think it would work fine also, but I'm not sure it would be needed.
Buck

July 18, 2004 05:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Older style EP price ?

Posted By Bernard Kean

John
I can't say about the new price but one just sold in the classifieds for $209 I think.
Buck

July 22, 2004 11:47 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mercury Support Systems New York?

Posted By Bernard Kean

Floyd
I bought one of Joe's 2"-1.25" compression adapters and the workmanship was excellent. He took PayPal and I had the adapter promptly and packaged well.
Hope this helps
Buck