Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: john raymond

February 18, 2012 02:14 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Spiderweb Foggy Morning

Posted By john raymond

I came home this foggy morning to see this lone spiderweb by the driveway.

John

February 24, 2012 04:49 PM Forum: Star Parties

Staunton River SP in Virginia

Posted By john raymond

There is a brand new star party in Virginia.

http://www.chaosastro.com/starparty/index.html

Those of us here who enjoy these events are pretty excited to have one close by.

John

May 24, 2012 01:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: manual mount for heavier scopes?

Posted By john raymond

A C11 has such a long focal length that tracking is almost mandatory for astro use.

I reccomend a Losmandy G11. You can use it without power and have it balanced so well, push the scope with your finger.

A Discmount DM6 is a good alt-az mount, simple and elegant. Will hold a C11 easy, and easy to track when balanced.

A classic Meade 10 or 12" LX200 will have a good fork mount and slo-mo controls. Does not need power to operate. Add a wedge for equatorial use. Easy to find good deals on these.

There you go.
John

August 25, 2012 10:08 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Venus Transit with the Star 12 ED

Posted By john raymond

The Venus Transit was mostly clouded out here in Richmond. We were able to see from first contact, then had about 45 minutes of viewing before the clouds came back for good. Its a shame, about 500 members of the public came out to see the transit.

The Star 12 is the same scope I had at the NEAF SSP 2011. A Baader Herschel Wedge is the filter.

November 4, 2012 03:55 AM Forum: Refractors

Re: high price views for less

Posted By john raymond

Billy you are correct, and very lucky to find that scope. They are good deals!

John

December 2, 2012 08:52 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

M42 by novice imager

Posted By john raymond

Here is a single 30 sec of M42 taken last week.
Canon Rebel XS w/no filter, 120mm f/8.5 refractor, "Automatic" processing with Windows Imageviewer.

Thanks
John

February 4, 2013 06:51 PM Forum: Star Parties

Staunton River Star Party

Posted By john raymond

Spring Star Party Coming Soon!

We want to remind everyone that the Spring 2013 Staunton River Star Party will be held on March 7-10 this year! Please join us and your observing friends under the dark skies at Staunton River State Park, work on your Messier Marathon, and support the newest star party on the east coast. Registration is now open at http://stauntonriver-starparty.org/Registration.html. Be sure to sign up before registration closes on March 1st. If you have already registered, we look forward to seeing you! And please forward this e-mail to your friends and promote the hobby!

Your SRSP Staff
http://www.chaosastro.com/starparty/

March 14, 2013 09:40 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

2 galaxies near M13

Posted By john raymond

Last week at the star party I observed the two galaxies close to M13. Everyone knows M13, but these galaxies are fairly unknown.

NGC 6207 is about half a degree NE and easy, elongated oval.

Halfway to 6207 is IC 4617. This faint galaxy was seen with averted vision. Very difficult but also elongated. This is the first time I saw it.

Using 18" dob at 140x.

Thanks
John

April 28, 2013 11:45 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

AP at Neaf SSP

Posted By john raymond

Here are some pics.

Im pretty sure this mount belongs to Paul Hyndman.

May 29, 2013 10:09 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Auction questions

Posted By john raymond

Hello

1. If I had previous problems with another member here, and that person wins one of my auctions, am I obligated to complete the transaction? Can I refuse to deal with them?

I always make an effort to have smooth dealings with everyone. But this person was so difficult that I don't want anything to do with them. They never left me a rating for the previous auction!

2. The winner of my previous auction 8754 has not responded to several emails and hung up on me when I called. I really don't care if someone changes their mind, just be a man and let me know.

Thanks
John