Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Stephen Vallentyne

March 1, 2003 07:27 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

March 19, 2003 01:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Flocking glue

Posted By Stephen Vallentyne

Hello All;
Please can someone tell me about glue for flocking me SCT.
I have an old criterion dina-max8 the tube is a sono type. The flocking paper is from edmund scientifics. Thanks
SV

May 21, 2003 06:16 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

ngc7654 viewing

Hello folks,this will most likley sound stupid, but here I go. what is the smallest size telescope that can be used to see the catseye nebula.I'm looking from mag 5 skys with a fair amount of light glare my deck is 3 ft. above a street light that is 15 ft off the deck I'm next to a large water way in northern calif.so the air is thick. if thats the right term. I have an old dimamax 8 and I don't know if its Me of my sight or what thats keeping me from the catseye nebula. thank you all inadvance for any help
steve

October 4, 2003 03:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

gregorian/cassegrain

Hi All
I'm just wondering if anyone here would be willing to tell me, What is the deffrence between a cassegrain and a gregorian reflector?

November 4, 2003 05:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

scope up-grade

Hi All;
This New Year I'm planning on up-grading my old scope for a new one. And the choices and wide and varied now have an old dinamax 8" SCT. I'm looking for comments on a new scope and what you all think. I do like SCT scopes. The jump from an old 8" to a new 8" is not enough justification. So I must move up in size ;^) Also the new scopes have computers to drive them. Any thought for me to canister?

January 2, 2005 03:14 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: SAC Focal Reducer 6.6/3.3

Mike
It sounds like you are seeing the secondary mirror. SCT do that if you use too long a focal length eye piece. On my 8" Dinamax the longest I can use is about 30mm or so.
good luck
Steve

January 18, 2005 10:25 AM Forum: After Dark

TAC

Hi All
Any one know whats up with The
Astronomy Connection's web site it's been down for days now.

February 6, 2005 07:28 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

one more newby question

Hi All
I want to get in to CCD photography. And thought this is the place to get some advice on starting out. Just looking to fine out what to look for in a camera, I have an lx200 10” and a 208xt coming in the mail for guiding. So my question is what camera do you folk think I should get to start with and why? I’m looking for a camera that will make the learning process as painless as can be. I live in San Jose CA. so light dooms are a consideration. I’m looking for a starter camera. And I like to shop used if I can. thanks in advance
SV

February 22, 2005 05:55 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ISS and the Moon

This is for folks near Oakland. I received this Info form a east bay astro-group. The info is cool.
Sunday 27 February 2005
Time Object Event
6h50m35.58s ISS Crosses the disk of Moon. Separation: 0.137d Position
Angle: 138.9d
Angular Velocity: 24.8'/s. Transit duration:
1.05s
Angular diameter: 18.7" size: 73.0m x 44.5m x
27.5m
Satellite at az: 245.7d WSW h: 17.1d dist:
991.5 km mag=-0.1m
Satellite apparently moves to direction
220.0°
Centerline, Closest Point →Map:
Lon:122d14m16s W
Lat: +37d46m08s dist: 7.44 km az: 221.5d SW
Path direction: 131.4d SE ground speed: 7.855
km/s
width: 12.6 km max. duration: 1.2 s
Bruce
Hope some of you with the technology can take advantage of it.
SV

April 3, 2006 08:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: F3.3 Focal Reducer:W.O. Microfocuser:DSI Setup

Hi Ithink you had it right.with my 10" SCT I've tried it both ways.for me F/R and extention go after the power focuser.
Steve