My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Chris Brown

August 7, 2002 11:41 PM Forum: Eyepieces

strange eyepiece

Posted By Chris Brown

Has anyone ever heard of a "Hoogy" eyepiece, 1 1/4", 0.5 and the name "Hoogy" stamped into it? The owner swears it is sharp, and is very high mag...Chris Brown [email protected]

August 18, 2002 03:45 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Circle-T, or Circle-V?

Posted By Chris Brown

Can anyone decifer the "circle" codes on my "astromart" Ortho's? I have a 4mm (Celestron) Circle-T, a 7mm (Celestron) Circle-V, a 25mm (no-name) Circle-A, even a 20mm (no-name) Circle-T Erfle! All of these eyepieces perform excellently, but I am trying to find thier manufacturer and year.
Thanks!
Chris Brown

October 30, 2002 10:16 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Meade research-grade ortho's

Posted By Chris Brown

How do I tell a "Research-Grade" ortho from a regular Meade ortho? I got this RG 12-inch scope, and the included Meade eyepieces are orthos, but which?

December 28, 2002 04:43 AM Forum: Maksutovs

Posted By Chris Brown

How much better is the ETX-125 over the 90? I have an ETX-90 "M", which has wonderful optics, example...I always seem to split the "double-double" from 60x up, and I can also see Cassini's division at the same power, (in the city), image breakdown is very gradual, and I hate to part with this "better" example. I love planetary viewing, and frankly, I'd like more power than 178.5x (Meade 7mm RG Ortho), which I feel is the 90"s practical limit on the gas giants. I know my #884 Tripod will handle the load of the 125, but will the aperture-related positives outweigh the possible (heresay?)quality problems and shotgun optical quality of the bigger model? (note, I also have an 8-inch dob, so I'm not expecting miracles, but I must weigh in the cost as a factor, after all, I only paid 200 dollars for the 90!) Regards, Chris Brown

January 17, 2003 06:01 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Radio Astronomy

Posted By Chris Brown

Have any of you fine folks had any experience with radio astronomy? I have heard that you can "hear" Jupiter at low frequency AM wavelengths...
Chris Brown

January 22, 2003 06:53 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Secondary mirror obstruction

Posted By Chris Brown

Is it possible (or advisable!) to raise your Newtonian spider a few MM, install a smaller secondary, and realise the effects of a smaller obstruction? I know this will not change the focal length, and the focuser will "rake-in" to compensate, but is it viable? Chris Brown

August 4, 2003 03:15 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

High magnifications on Mars

Posted By Chris Brown

Last night, I was able to get a very colorful, clear view of Mars at 208x,(6mm ortho)in my city front yard with my 90mmETX! I know this is breaking some rules, but I have witnesses to the clairity of the view!My xt-8 is welcoming high powers on Mars, also!
Has anyone else been able to break the mag barrier on Mars this season? Chris Brown

September 1, 2003 04:03 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Martian moons

Posted By Chris Brown

Has anyone been able to see or image the Martian moons?
Chris Brown

October 24, 2003 04:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Im seeing spots!

Posted By Chris Brown

Thought I saw a spot on the sun this morning through the haze, a quick look through a welding helmet(save the sermons) confirmed a BIG cluster of spots in the middle! Can't wait to get my ETX-90 on this one! Chris Brown

November 18, 2003 05:20 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Proud Papa

Posted By Chris Brown

I just wanted to share with all the astromart patrons my positive experience showing the wonders of the heavens to my 11 year-old daughter, Tessa.
My daughter has been interested in astronomy since she helped me test some eyepieces on Saturn at 1:00am in the morning a few years back.
I decided to fix up my old Meade #285 refractor for her and her younger sister to use(60mm, f/15, EQ mount, 6x30 finder)
I used a laser collimator to align the optics (Finally, a circle out-of-focus!), and aligned the finder at triple-digit powers, to help her along. The result? She found Mars, the 7 sisters, even Albiero on her own! she never got impatient, even though the set-up is notorius for testing one's patience (good thing I didn't let her try my etx-90!) And I couldn't be a prouder papa! It goes to show you that those long hours we amateurs spend alone in the back yard can have positive consequences. You should have heard her when the Pleides came into focus!
Chris Brown
P.S. Wait till she tries my XT-8 with the red-dot!