August 27, 2004 09:41 PM Forum: Politics

Bush vs Bush

Posted By Howard Knytych

This is a hoot!

October 13, 2004 08:30 AM Forum: Politics

October 21, 2004 01:18 PM Forum: Politics

Natiional Sales Tax?

Posted By Howard Knytych

Yesterday I heard the neocons in the House and in the Bush administration are proposing (1) to ELIMINATE all corporate taxes (2) abolish the IRS, thereby eliminating personal exemptions, and, get this, (3) establish a 23% national sales tax!!

This seemed pretty preposterous, so I googled on 'national sales tax', and found a review in the August 9 online issue of the National Review. Haven't found any other source to verify (I have a life, and can't spend oodles of time looking to stuff). Has anyone else picked up on this? :S

February 2, 2005 08:37 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: Veil Nebula

Posted By Howard Knytych

The Veil is large. Get the widest angle/lowest power you can find, like a 41mm Nagler.

February 23, 2005 08:23 AM Forum: Eyepieces

University Optics 25mm vs TV 27mm Panoptic

Posted By Howard Knytych

Anybody have direct experience with these two EP? I've been thinking of a 27mm Panoptic, but I ran into a retailer with a 25mm UO. Apparently it has a 70 degree FOV, and the eye relief looks pretty good.

Opinions?

February 28, 2005 08:33 AM Forum: Politics

Re: M1 DOES NOT EXIST I HAVE PROOF

Posted By Howard Knytych

I've seen M1, no problem. But then, I'm a liberal.

July 25, 2002 08:23 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

PACIFIC NW VIEWERS STAR PARTY

Posted By Howard Knytych

I'll be up there early Thursday with my 10" SCT. This'll be my 4th year up there. OSP has become the highlight of the year. I just hope the fires are under control by then.

Howard K.

August 12, 2002 08:07 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Oregon Star Party (impression)

Posted By Howard Knytych

This was my fourth OSP. I'd rate it a 10, both for the friendliness of the people there, and the quality of the seeing conditions, both clarity and steadiness. Dan, who was next to me, claimed he could see M27 as a naked eye object. I didn't believe him until I tried it myself, and there it was!

The forest service imposed some necessary fire restrictions in order to allow us up there, and on Thursday there was a bit of smoke on the southern horizon, but that cleared up by Friday, and I'm just glad we were able to have the star party.

Howard K

August 21, 2002 08:13 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Cold Weather Observing Wear

Posted By Howard Knytych

Most important clothing accessory is a hat, like a wool stocking cap. Fact: 20% of body heat escapes thru the top of the head, so keeping a lid on it is the single most important item.

Howard K

August 21, 2002 08:17 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

a stupid question

Posted By Howard Knytych

Put it on the ground. A dob is a type of altazimuth design, and attempting to somehow mount it on a tripod would defeat the whole idea.

Howard K