Posts Made By: Howard Knytych

May 31, 2004 04:54 PM Forum: Politics

Flip Flop

Posted By Howard Knytych

IMHO, accusing a politician of "flip flopping" is generally a red herring. It doesn't allow for a person to develop his/her attitude about an issue over time, particularly as that issue develops. Maintaining a flexible attitude with regard to evolving issues is a smarter strategy than rigid, unchanging adherence to a policy. For example, many of us who iniitally accepted the that WMDs existed in Iraq have now "flip flopped" as we've learned that idea was bogus.

By insisting doggedly that "staying the course" is a political virtue, regardless of the turn of events, GWB is finding out that to accuse Kerry of flip flopping is a double edged sword. Particularly when he is finally forced by events to change his position.

June 10, 2004 03:37 PM Forum: Politics

The Reagan that Conservatives..

Posted By Howard Knytych

How about the fact that his underlings negotiated with Iran, selling them 100 tons of TOW missiles to raise cash to fund a covert army to invade Central American countries because there were people, Sandanistas, there we didn't like. All of this was intended to be outside the purview of the US Congress and the American public.

June 18, 2004 03:48 PM Forum: Politics

Benchwarming

Posted By Howard Knytych

I am VERY strongly against Bush and his cronies. However, I must admit I've been waiting patiently for Kerry to come out and start campaigning. I'd like him to tell the public where he stands and what his policies will be. I would rather be FOR Kerry than just AGAINST Bush. So far, I suppose he's been holding back and letting the Bush administration self destruct as all the facts come out. And maybe he and the Dems don't have the deep pockets Bush and the Repubs have. But it's time to come out swinging.

June 18, 2004 05:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

focuser travel problem with Paracorr

Posted By Howard Knytych

Any problems I've had with a paracorr have been self-induced: Focusing was no problem with any EP when I first set up my scope with the paracorr, but my tendency when collimating had been to turn the adjusting bolts counterclockwise, or out, which effective lengthened the distance from the primary to the EPs. Finally my 17mm Nagler wouldn't come to focus, until I systematically turned all three collimating bolts in to shorten the distance. wink

June 23, 2004 04:38 PM Forum: Star Parties

OSP

Posted By Howard Knytych

Check out www.oregonstarparty.org

July 6, 2004 08:42 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Cataracts

Posted By Howard Knytych

Steven,
I don't have right or left eye dominance, and I had cataracts in both eyes. Finally, two years ago at age 59, I had cataract surgery on my left eye, which was the worst, and it made all the difference in the world. Now I use it almost exclusively at the eyepiece. I second what John says about the difference in color, and the rapidity with which I recovered. The procedure itself is almost a non-event -- nothing like it was for you father in the 70s. I was in the OR maybe 20 minutes, max, and the procedure itself took maybe 10 minutes, with no discomfort beyond my initial anxiety. Two days after surgery I had a followup exam, and measured 20-20. About six months later, there was a slight growth of protein between the prosthetic lens and the lens sack, which occurs about 1/3 to 1/2 the time in most patients. They deal with that with laser surgery which burns a clear hole thru the sack without damaging the new lens or the inner eye.

Curiously, as I bring my eyes down on an eyepiece that's focused on a bright extended object, such as a planet, I can see the cataract in my right eye, or the hole thru the lens sack in my left eye, reflected in the eyepiece. For me, cataracts are more like an occlusion rather than a blurring. Across the field of view there's a discontinuity rather like looking at a broken mirror. Images in my "bionic" eye are sharp, however. Given everything, cataract surgery, while not restoring my vision to pristine, youthful quality, was a very good choice. I'm looking at having the other one done soon.

A retired optometrist friend of mine told me the only bad news in all this is that as a natural consequence of aging and exposure to UV, sooner or later everyone will develop cataracts if they live long enough. Given that, I believe it's better to have them corrected while your health is good and your chances for improved quality of life are high.

July 13, 2004 03:15 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Trying to locate NGC 7000

Posted By Howard Knytych

Hi John,

Hold out for a clear, dark sky, which is sometimes hard to do in Astoria. Wait until it's high in the sky, and observe it from a chaise lounge. Use medium / low power binoculars with large objectives. Naked eye viewing of NGC7000 can be pretty good, too. An OIII filter may help a bit if you have one. While you look at Deneb, move the filter in and out of the field of view of your eye. With a little effort, you'll see it. After that, subsequent viewings will be a piece of cake, and you won't need the filter.

Good luck,
Howard

PS: You going to OSP? That's a good place to see it.

July 23, 2004 04:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Survey - Taking this from another angle

Posted By Howard Knytych

Given exceptionally good seeing conditions, I'd think you could see Jupiter that well in a 4.5" reflector.

August 2, 2004 03:55 PM Forum: Politics

A little test...

Posted By Howard Knytych

3 dem, 3 green, 1 libertarian, 0 repuglican. And I think the libertarian response was on the drug issue choices, non of which I liked.

August 6, 2004 10:05 PM Forum: Star Parties

Oregon Star Party

Posted By Howard Knytych

Oh yes. Currently, there's light rain in the Willamette Valley and in Central Oregon, and the forecast is for sunny weather all next week, all of which is very good. The fire danger will be reduced (no smoke), and the air should be scrubbed clean. As dark as OSP gets, it could be exceptional this year! Everyone I talk to on the OSP committee is in high anticipation!

BTW, there could be a bump in registration this year due to the very nice article in the Sept issue of Astronomy.

See you there,
Howard