Posts Made By: Howard Knytych

November 17, 2004 01:25 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Do you remember?

Posted By Howard Knytych

How about...

"The WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHTS are ON THE AIR...

Look sha-a-rp!
Feel sha-a-rp!
Be sha-a-rp!

To LOOK sharp, every time you shave
To FEEL sharp, and be on the ball,
Just BE sharp, use GILLETTE BLUE BLADES
For the quickest slickest shave OF ALL!!"

...which was before I even needed to shave, BTW

November 17, 2004 01:38 AM Forum: Politics

Rice as new SS

Posted By Howard Knytych

She was incompetent as Nat'l Security Advisor. Let's see how quickly she can totally trash foreign affairs.

My wife said it best: "As a feminist, I'd like to cheer her on, but as a US citizen, I feel like throwing up."

December 1, 2004 10:57 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Which Cheap Handhelds to Get?

Posted By Howard Knytych

If you're willing to go for 70mm objectives instead of 80, check out the 15 x 70 Barskas. I got a pair last summer, and I'm totally pleased with them, particularly for the price, which was on sale locally for around $60. They're lighter than 12 x 60s I have, are well baffled, and show little distortion.

December 24, 2004 07:43 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Perplexing Decision

Posted By Howard Knytych

Paul,

Hope I'm not too late coming into this thread. You seem to have settled on one or two choices. But nowhere in the advice that's been offered have I seen any recommendations about getting a good pair of binoculars. The emphasis has been strictly on the biggest aperture dob you could get for the money. I don't know how much of a "newbie" you are, nor if binocs are on the table for you to consider at this point, but in my opinion, with a good pair of binoculars you'll see more and use them more often. They will give you more viewing bang for the buck than any scope you can buy. Portability and ease of use are non-issues. I use mine all the time in conjunction with my 18" dob to familiarize myself with an area of the sky where I hunt for targets. And often I just enjoy sitting on a chaise in my backyard and sweeping the sky when I don't want to hassle setting up a scope and dealing with charts, etc. If you don't have a pair now, you will want one soon after getting whatever scope you settle on now.

Just my .02 worth,

Howard

December 28, 2004 06:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which finder?

Posted By Howard Knytych

Floyd,

Add another vote for the Orion 9x50. I have one mounted on my 18" dob, on the secondary cage, which I use along with a Telrad.

Good Hunting,
Howard

December 28, 2004 07:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

About to Buy a Large (20

Posted By Howard Knytych

Gregg,

Welcome to the aperture fever ward.

I graduated from a 10" SCT to an 18" dob. You do need to consider that going to a large aperture mirror will increase and complicate the logistics of observing. Unlike you, I've kept my 10". Although it's a bear to lug around, it's still easier to set up and use than the 18". I'm 5'7" and in good shape for 61. Your setup and adjustment tasks will be considerably more extensive, as well.

On the other hand, viewing through a larger aperture scope will be superb, especially when you're able to get to dark skies. You'll be enoying a much wider breadth and depth of objects. I've never looked back.

Clear Skies,
Howard

January 5, 2005 04:24 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Best/first celestial objects to show a girlfriend?

Posted By Howard Knytych

Kemble's Cascade, which is located between Polaris and Mirphak in Perseus. Use three 3rd mag stars as pointers. It's a long line of 5th mag stars ending in an open cluster, an NGC object for which I don't recall the number right now. Kemble's Cascade looks like a diamond necklace ending in a diamond pendant. You want to be romantic and impress the lady, give her this one... smile

Howard K

January 17, 2005 04:43 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Barlow or new eyepiece ?

Posted By Howard Knytych

A barlow's OK as a cost effective compromise, but it adds additional glass to absorb and reflect photons. Buy a 12mm now if you can afford it, and hold off on the barlow.

January 20, 2005 04:40 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Machholz 01152005

Posted By Howard Knytych

Nice image. What's the cluster near the upper right corner?

January 26, 2005 12:44 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

ED80 or ETX90?

Posted By Howard Knytych

Given a choice, I'd take the ED80.