Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Happy Halloween: Witch's Broom Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Howard Knytych

January 26, 2005 04:18 PM Forum: Politics

NASA cutting outer planets budget

Posted By Howard Knytych

Time for you Astromart conservatives to get off your duffs and write your conservative representatives that you're gonna vote 'em out of office if they don't for once listen to the people and fund these programs. They won't listen to us liberals since they know we don't vote for them anyway. It's up to you guys!

Howard K

January 27, 2005 08:43 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

First coherent light

Posted By Howard Knytych

Grow up, kid... 8)

February 25, 2005 09:21 AM Forum: Eyepieces

University Optics 25mm vs TV 27mm Panoptic

Posted By Howard Knytych

Everyone,

Thanks for your input. My 18" dob is f/4.5, and I use a paracorr. From what several of you are saying, the performance of the UO 25mm might might be an issue. At $195 though, it has a definte price advantage over the TV Panoptic. The retailer's a pretty good guy who will work with his customers. I think I can talk him into letting me try it out first.

FWIW, on each side of that 25-27mm range, I have a 17mm Nagler and a 32mm Celestron, plus in 1.25" a 26mm Meade and a 32mm TV plossl. So actually I'm in no great hurry to purchase anything.

March 2, 2005 01:17 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

what in the heck is a Dovetail bar?

Posted By Howard Knytych

Dovetail Bar? Isn't that a place in San Francisco near Golden Gate Park?

March 8, 2005 02:42 PM Forum: Politics

Endless amounts of energy

Posted By Howard Knytych

One little nitpick: You said...

"The technology duplicates the reactions that power the sun, splitting atoms by heating hydrogen gas to 100 million degrees centigrade."

Fusion doesn't split atoms, it combines them to make higher atomic numbered atoms.

March 14, 2005 05:08 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Conditions to a Beginner

Posted By Howard Knytych

Hi Zack,

So many questions come up in reply to your post, particularly if we don't assume anything: First off, do you know if your 8" dob is adjusted (collimated) correctly? That would be critical particularly if it's a fast scope, say f/5 or lower. Next, what size eyepiece are you working with? It would be good to start a search for DSOs with with a wide angle lens. Then once you acquire a target object in a wide angle field, center it and change to higher magnification as desired. How are you focusing? Are you racking the focuser back and forth on both sides of the sharpest view of single stars, and gradually narrowing it down to the sharpest view? How are you going about finding your DSOs? More specifically, how do you know when you're on M42, for example? What kind of finder do you have, and have you made sure to sync up your finder to the scope so they're both pointing at the same place in the sky?

At this point, it doesn't sound like limiting magnitude is your problem. Answer the questions above, and let us know the results.

Good luck,
Howard K

June 17, 2005 03:36 PM Forum: Star Parties

Shingletown Star Party

Posted By Howard Knytych

I'll be coming down from Portland with my 18" dob. Looking forward to it!

June 17, 2005 03:47 PM Forum: Star Parties

Oregon Star Party

Posted By Howard Knytych

I'm coordinating the speakers and activities. This year we're featuring Don Machholz, who discovered a certain comet this past year, Dick Pugh, a local meteor expert, Richard Berry, who will speak on the Milky Way in 3-D, and Jane Jones from JPL, who will give us an update on Cassini/Huygens.

All this under our usual 7.0 mag skies! grin