My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steve House

November 19, 2002 06:10 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Leonids from Carthage, MO

Posted By Steve House

Fourth great year from Southwest Missouri! I went out back on the deck here in town, and from 4:15 to 5:00 am CST, saw 204 meteors. No real fireballs, but saw about six bright (about mag. -2) meteors. Saw two "point" meteors at the radiant. The shower seemed to peak about 4:45 am.

A great experience, but can't be compared to the Leonid fireballs of 1998 from my very dark site on an Ozark mountain behind the U. Methodist Church in Blue Eye, MO.

-Steve House

September 22, 2003 03:19 PM Forum: Telescope Making

HDPE for Telescope Tubes?

Posted By Steve House

Greegings all,
I've just been introduced to 1/2" High Density Polyethylene plastic sheeting for another application. It cuts easily, is remarkably rigid and comes in black! Can any tell me if this amazing material has been tried for telescope tubes or even for dobsonian rocker boxes, bases, etc?

Thanks.
-Steve House

October 8, 2003 08:06 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ToUcam Basics?

Posted By Steve House

Greetings all,
I want to thank Derrick Lipinski, Roland Chavez and others for their inspiration (and aspiration) regarding the Philips ToUcam pro.

Is there a book, online resource or other source that provides an overview or outlines the basics of this type of imaging technique? Perhaps this is all very new and everyone if plowing new ground...

Thanks in advance.

-Steve House, St. Charles, Missouri

October 24, 2003 02:19 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Best source for Philips ToUcam Pro

Posted By Steve House

OK, people- that does it. I just can't take it any more. Where do you buy the Philips ToUcam Pro? It seems to be no longer available or in stock in the places I've checked, such as amazon.com.

Thanks so much.

-Steve House

October 24, 2003 03:10 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Best Source for Philips ToUcam Pro Webcam

Posted By Steve House

I can't take it any more. Where do you get the Philips ToUcam Pro webcam? Places I've looked (like amazon.com)seem to have phased it out and it is no longer available.

Thanks very much.

-Steve House

December 27, 2003 09:04 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Stumped by ToUcam software

Posted By Steve House

Greetings,
After loading my Philips ToUcam pro software, I am not able to capture video. I go to "Vrecord", then "Capture", then "Start Capture", and I get a blank screen, and a message that says, "Filter cannot report capture information."

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing incorrectly, or what setting I must change? Thanks!

Steve House, St. Charles, MO

January 17, 2004 10:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Pre-1960 Edmund "Palomar type" 4.25" question

Posted By Steve House

Hi all,
I'm restoring an old Edmund Scientific 4.25" reflector, and am hoping someone knows if the original wood tripod came with a chain to keep the legs in place. This "ebay" scope came with a chain, but it looks like it may have been added later. I will remove the chain if it isn't original before I fill and stain the wooden tripod. The 1957 catalog doesn't say anything about a chain, and the pictures don't show the bottom of the tripod. Any ideas? Thanks!

January 17, 2004 10:08 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Pre-1960 Edmund 4.25" reflector restoration

Posted By Steve House

Hi all,
I'm restoring an old Edmund Scientific 4.25" reflector, and am hoping someone knows if the original wood tripod came with a chain to keep the legs in place. This "ebay" scope came with a chain, but it looks like it may have been added later. I will remove the chain if it isn't original before I fill and stain the wooden tripod. The 1957 catalog doesn't say anything about a chain, and the pictures don't show the bottom of the tripod. Any ideas? Thanks!

January 31, 2004 08:21 AM Forum: Telescope Making

The Meridian Company in the 1960's

Posted By Steve House

Greetings to all,

Would anyone have any information on "The Meridian Company" of the 1960's? Bill Vaughan of Columbia, Missouri, used to figure mirrors, sell ATM supplies, and produced something called a "Panaflector" telescope.

It happens he figured my first 6" f/8 mirror, ground from an Edmund kit. Figuring cost me $20, equivilant to mowing 10 or 11 yards. He truly made a "silk purse out of a sow's ear", since that mirror was chipped by being dropped on concrete and hit with a hammer when frozen to the tool, badly scratched, and looked about as bad as a 13 yr. old could make it. It has performed wonderfully for all these years. If Bill is still with us, it would be fun to thank him. I may have put that off too long.

Thanks.

Steve House

February 24, 2004 04:46 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Is Kenneth Novak still in business?

Posted By Steve House

Greetings, I've been out of the ATM loop for a while. Can someone tell me if Kenneth Novak is still in business? I am looking for a 3.1" ma Diagonal holder.

Thanks.

Steve House, St. Charles, MO