New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Mollise

May 30, 2009 01:52 PM Forum: Politics

Re: The more we learn

Posted By Rod Mollise

Jim Babcock said:

Lawyers who have argued cases before Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor call her "nasty," "angry" and a "terror on the bench," according to the current Almanac of the Federal Judiciary -- a kind of Zagat's guide to federal judges.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/29/lawyers-tag-sotomayor-as-terror-on-the-bench/

The more we learn the more we learn about the idiot in Washington.

Washington Times? I think you mean the "Moonie Times," doncha? LOL

July 2, 2009 12:58 PM Forum: Ham and Shortwave Radio

National Sixty Special

Posted By Rod Mollise

Cain't believe NOBODY wants to talk about Radio Junk here! Sheesh! LOL

In the off hour, I've been rehabilitatin' a National 60 I happened upon. If anybody is the least bit interested, I'll post a pic.

July 8, 2009 11:38 AM Forum: SCI-FI

SyFy

Posted By Rod Mollise

What's behind the change at Sci-fi network? My guess is they want to open the door to as many non SF/fantasy related shows (likely lots of cheap and sensational reality shows). "Sci-Fi" scares off mom and pop America doncha know. They've fallen a long way since the days of Lexx and Farscape (though, of course BSG was wonderful and I hope Caprica will be OK). :-(

July 10, 2009 11:57 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Yeah, what IS goin' on here?

Posted By Rod Mollise

There are more Chinese scopes and sellers of them than ever and more comin' every day. So why is this formerly intersting forum dead? Is it just that Chinese scopes and their importers are now mainstream?

July 11, 2009 04:46 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Skywatch 90

Posted By Rod Mollise

Hey, y'all.

Tomorrow I'll start puttin' Skywatch #90 together...if you have anything contribute, this is Last Call. If'n you don't, it is likely to be a skinny issue...

What the hail am I talkin' about? My li'l _FREE_ MAGAZINE:

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/newsletter/skywatch.htm

Got something?

[email protected]

No, I won't be sendin' you a check, but you will have your work seen by several thousand of your brother and sister amateurs in the time the issue is current...and if you've a yen to get started in pro astronomy writin' (don't ask me why you'd want to do such a thing LOL)...several folks doin' that did get their start in li'l ol' SW.

July 11, 2009 04:57 PM Forum: Binoviewers

What's Goin' on Here?

Posted By Rod Mollise

I axed the same question on the formerly dynamic Chinese Optics forum. Why has this group's traffic dropped to zero? Is there less interest in binoviewers now? Were they just a fad? Or are they mainstream, with the current presence of _useable_ imports for (some of 'em) less than a hundred bucks. Y'all tell me... LOL

July 20, 2009 10:28 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Ain't No Use, Huh?

Posted By Rod Mollise

In even tryin' to bring this forum back, is there? And it used to be so much fun... cwy

August 6, 2009 11:48 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Re: autoguiding with the LXD75

Posted By Rod Mollise

Chris Myron said:

:I have modest equipment[lxd75sc8with e meade 2045 piggybacked on it ] I have two cameras, a DSI11 and a DSI11pro. I need to know how to autoguide with this setup and the Meade Autostarsuite. Can any one help me out?( Contact me here or at [email protected] Thanks, Chris

As for autoguiding with Autostar Suite...my advice is "don't." PHD Guiding (freeware from Stark Labs) is easier to use and works much better. You will guide through the serial port of your HC with the aid of ASCOM since your scope does not have an autoguide port.

September 3, 2009 10:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Celestron C8+ driver motor/gearbox replacement

Posted By Rod Mollise

Richard Lee said:

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement RA driver motor + gearbox for a Celestron C8+ telescope? I have been to Astro Parts Outlet already and he (Mr. Rothman) does not have what a need. I'm looking for additional sources. Thanks

C8 Plus as in the DC powered Powerstar like scope, or a Super C8 Plus?

December 7, 2009 01:37 PM Forum: Celestron

Re: CPC11GPS repair manual

Posted By Rod Mollise

Gene Faulkner said:

Does anyone know where I can get information/manual on repairing a CPC11GPS?
Actual problem: scope is NEW NEW, used, will not move in RA, only in Dec. Used it about 6 months ago, was fine. Turned on last night, found this problem.

Too little to go on here. What happens during a two star alignment? Can you hear the motor running or not? Is there any difference when you change slewing speeds? Are there any errors shown on the hand control? Is the RA lock firmly locked? Can you move the scope in RA with it locked?

There is no publicly available repair manual for the telescope. If the problem is not a simple one, your best bet is to call Celestron.