Posts Made By: Rod Mollise

February 14, 2011 12:28 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Re: Coranado H-alpha Pre-Meade vs Meade

Posted By Rod Mollise

Ralph Aguirre said:

Ive owned a 60mm H-alpha Pre-Meade and it was excellent, but Ive also looked through and used the Meade versions and they seemed every bit as good in showing similar details on the sun and their prominences. Ive not done a side by side, but the Meade versions seem just as good.
Why do some prefer the Pre-Meade Models. Is this a USA vs China thing, if so, I can understand that since I do my best to stay away from Chineese astronomical gear, which is getting harder and harder to do these days?
Both were mounted to my TV-85 by the way.

...Ralph

Because some people don't like Meade. Some of which they have brought on themselves, but mainly "Meade" doesn't have the panache "Coronado" did. At least the Meade PST doesn't "rust." wink

March 13, 2011 02:14 PM Forum: Celestron

Re: Optical Cleaning at Celestron in Torrance, CA

Posted By Rod Mollise

michael easson said:

Hello, I was wondering what sort of experiences everyone has had who has sent their precious telescope to Celestron in Torrance, CA for a complete optical cleaning? I am getting ready to do just this for my SCT. I am told they take 30 days to give you an estimate and another four weeks to perform the cleaning. Basically, I'm out of a scope for close to three months. No problem as long as there are no delays. How has this process gone for others I am wondering? They quoted me $250 for the basic optical cleaning. Any surprise additional charges arise? How well did they pack up and ship the telescope back to you? Most importantly, how good a job did they do on the optical cleaning? Anything you can add would be appreciated. Thanks.

Celestron will do a good job...but...unless something bad has happened to the scope, optical cleaning will make NO observable difference in performance.

May 20, 2011 09:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Celestron C-90 All Brass Scope

Posted By Rod Mollise

Michael Glant said:

Hello My Friends

Any one out there have information on a Celestron C-90 All Brass Telescope. I found this and bought it and it is in great condition and is completely all brass. The scope and base is good quality brass and the scope operates like normal. I seem not to be able to find any info, even from Celestron themselves. If you have any info please write back.
Thanks

I will attach an image later.

Not much to say, really. Other than the tube, it's a fairly standard 90 and was sold in the...80s...late 80s if I recall correctly. It was a standard item not a special order or some such. Nice little scope.

June 12, 2011 06:20 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Re: Best 2" Diagonal for SCT 11

Posted By Rod Mollise

michael easson said:

Hi Folks,

Seems like a simple question, but what diagonal should I buy to accommodate my 2" and 1.25" eyepieces for my 11" SCT? You would think prism diagonals would be preferable to mirror, but I will entertain all discussions. It is tough to choose when both mirror and prism report 99% transmission.

Gratis,

Michael

Denkmeier Power Switch.

August 9, 2011 12:27 AM Forum: Mounts

Re: CGEM DX

Posted By Rod Mollise

If this is the first Celestron GEM you've used, I suggest hooking up with a local club member who's used one. Your problems may be easily resolvable. The software does not "fail" in my experience.

September 16, 2011 09:33 PM Forum: Meade

Meade LX-800

Posted By Rod Mollise

Nobody's started a thread on the 800 and the 80 YET?!

October 19, 2011 10:17 AM Forum: Ask rating questions here

Re: "Excellent" EP - not so; are my expectations t

Posted By Rod Mollise

Keep it if you want to _USE_ it. If you are more on the collector side of hte game, see if he will give you a full refund and return it. _I_ wouldn't give you any "partial refunds" and I am known as an old softie. LOL.

November 6, 2011 09:49 PM Forum: After Dark

Re: Meade 10" 2120 quartz LX pulse drive

Posted By Rod Mollise

Alex Andreani said:

The drive does not seem 2 work, tiny buzz and little movement when E. & W buttons r pressed.

Is the motor supposed 2 run the entire time the buttons r pressed?

Stupid nubie question # 2,

When I turn on the tracking drive on the motor is also supposed to run right, can u usually hear this drive run.

Can I get parts to fix drive, if so, where do I get them?

Alex

Are you sure the drive is not working? It's not called a clock drive for nothing. The buttons will make SMALL changes to its speed for photographic guiding; they will NOT zip it across the sky. If you want to check it inside, turn on the drive and let it run for an hour or so. wink

With the drive on, you may hear a slight hum.

Likely there is nothing wrong with it.

November 12, 2011 04:10 PM Forum: Refractors

Re: SEMI-APO???

Posted By Rod Mollise

david goldman said:

Can someone explain to me what the term SEMI-APO means?.

Yep.

Semi-APO = Semi-pregnant.

IOW, you are or you are not. LOL.

November 18, 2011 03:46 PM Forum: Meade

Re: Collimating

Posted By Rod Mollise

Alex Andreani said:

Got sold used Meade 10" SCT
, image fuzzy, can't quit focus, can I collimate this myself, or do I need to send it in?

Collimate it yourself. There are numerous sets of good instructions on the web, but basically, you observe the diffraction rings of a centered, slightly defocused star and collimate until the rings are concentric.