New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Mollise

December 31, 2011 08:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron Control

Posted By Rod Mollise

Rob Howell said:

What model clock drive hand control remote does a ~yr 2000 C8+ take.

First question would be your scope. Celestron was not making a (Super) C8 Plus in 2000. There was a Celestar Deluxe.

If that is what you mean, any of the HCs of that era should work (except of course the Ultima 2000 controller and the go-to NexStar HC). Unfortunately, none of these are available from Celestron anymore. Hit the good, old Astromart Classifieds... wink

December 31, 2011 09:04 AM Forum: Mounts

CGEM max weight capacity

Posted By Rod Mollise

Depends on focal ratio. At f/4 - f/5, it is doable...but won't be the Rock of Gibraltar.

January 2, 2012 05:58 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Best body choice for imaging

Posted By Rod Mollise

Mike Vollmer said:

Hi. I am wanting to upgrade my imaging camera from my un-modded Canon 20D that I have been using to something better. I don't want to spend a lot, and the camera will be used for general purpose family photography also. 1080 HD video capability is another requirement. Can anyone in the forum tell me what body has the best sensitivity to red "out of the box"?
Mike

Answer: None. Best bet: get your 20D modded, use that for imaging, and get a new cam, maybe a T2i, for terrestrial work. IMHO, Live View isn't of much use. It's pretty dim, and I get far better results for focusing using the focus/fine focus features of Nebulosity with my 400D.

January 5, 2012 02:13 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Wireless webcam for Venus transit?

Posted By Rod Mollise

The problem will be getting a wireless webcame useable for the task. The way to proceed better might be a webcam good for astronomy hooked to a PC at the telescope hooked to their LAN.

January 5, 2012 02:14 PM Forum: No Holds Barred

How does one tell if the painting was crapped on

Posted By Rod Mollise

Find someone who knows something about paintings? grin

January 7, 2012 05:35 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Software ?s

Posted By Rod Mollise

Darryl Simmons said:

Just bought a (new to me) 40d. I guess i need something other than iPhoto to process the pictures I plan to take. Photoshop seems to be the one that most people use, but it's very expensive, and all the various options are very confusing. I found a local seller that has a used copy of CS2 for a C-note. Is this appropriate? Is there issues buying used photoshop software I should be aware of?

Sorry for the long post. TIA for any answers!

I don't think you can go wrong with a copy of Photoshop for 100 bucks. That's not much more than you'd pay for Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop Essentials. I need to upgrade someday, I suppose, but I am still getting along just fine with Photoshop 7. wink

January 8, 2012 08:25 AM Forum: After Dark

Re: Do people do astronomy with annoying friends?

Posted By Rod Mollise

That's never been a problem for me at the clubs I've belonged to...and even if it were, it's not much of a problem and is offset by the real benefits of belonging to a club.

What does occasionally get my goat? Going to a big star party and getting the constant "Watcha lookin' at, mister--CAN I SEE?" from those folks who bring a scope, set it up, and never touch it again until it's time to depart. I hope I put up with them with good grace, though. LOL.

January 12, 2012 04:01 PM Forum: Mounts

C8+ remote

Posted By Rod Mollise

Rob Howell said:

What is the model # for the hand remote controller for the clock drive of my C8+. Anyone know right off the top of their head?
Thanks

If you want an answer, you'll need to do a lot beter than "my C8"?

Ultima 8? Powerstar 8? Ultima 2000 8? Nexstar 8?

wink

January 13, 2012 01:58 PM Forum: After Dark

Re: Do people do astronomy with annoying friends?

Posted By Rod Mollise

Yes, there are a few--thankfully only a few--jerks in our fraternity/sorority.

A long time ago I finally had to get up the gumption to say "no" when I had to:

"No, sorry, I can't help you set up your scope right now."

"Sorry, I can't talk right now."

"This is not really a good time to show you M42, sorry."

Certainly I never say "no" to a novice or anyone else who genuinely needs help. I am only driven to this with the SCREWBALLS. Luckily, they are, again, few and very far between. wink

January 22, 2012 02:36 PM Forum: Celestron

Dec Motor, Classic C8

Posted By Rod Mollise

I believe JMI can still provide what you want.