New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Mollise

February 11, 2012 11:31 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

orion atlas EQ mount Manual

Posted By Rod Mollise

Dan Dolaptchieff said:

Is there a detailed book or a better manual than comes with this mount available?
I especially have difficulty in doing a 2 or 3 star alignment so as to do astrophotography
Thanks and Aloha
Dan

There's a manual available on Orion's website (telescope.com). Not sure what you are asking about, though. The 2 - 3 star alignment is for go-to; polar alignment for imaging is something else. What kind of problems are you having?

February 18, 2012 06:21 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Is the visual deep-sky observer an endangered spec

Posted By Rod Mollise

Inge Skauvik said:

Some years ago there was a lot of activity on this forum. During the last years the activity has dropped to near zero. I sometimes wonder what the reason for this can be.
Have the active people found other, more interesting forums or blogs?
Have people started doing imaging instead of observing through the eyepiece?

Some time ago I tried to make some posts about previous observations of various objects (some showpieces and some less known objects), but the response was very low and few people read the posts.

Do anyone have any good ideas what can be done to get some more activity here?

I don't know what can be done, but the simple fact is Joe and Jane Amateur have identified Astromart as "the classifieds place" and Cloudy Nights as "the discussion groups place."

;-)

February 25, 2012 04:52 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

What are your most unforgettable telescopic sights

Posted By Rod Mollise

Way too many to list...

--The craters of the Moon in my 3-inch Tasco Newt in 1965.

--The Horsehead Nebula in living color in near real time with my C11 and Mallncam Xtreme.

--The Antennae Galaxies in Tom and Jeannie Clark's 42-inch...

February 26, 2012 03:16 PM Forum: Star Parties

Questions about star party etiquette

Posted By Rod Mollise

Depends on the _kind_ of star party. If it is a public star party, the telescopes are there for you and your friends to look through. The amateur operating the scope will let you know, usually, as I do with a "NEXT!"

But at an event like the Nebraska Star Party? Please remember folks are there to enjoy the sky and conduct their own observing programs, not entertain you. Many have come long distances, and this is the family vacation of the year. They are there to, in part, see the things they cannot see at home.

That said, many will be happy to let you have a look. Especially if you walk up when they are not obviously busy at the eyepiece and strike up a conversation, introduce yourself, etc. Not just barge in with a "CAN I LOOK THROUGH YOUR SCOPE MISTER, CAN I? HUH?" LOL!

March 20, 2012 03:46 PM Forum: Mounts

LXD55 MOUNT AND 8 INCH MEADE SCT OTA

Posted By Rod Mollise

Mike Willey said:

HI
I have an 8 inch Meade SCT OTA and a LXD55 mount.
The mount has a dovetail with two rings on ti for a 5 inch refractor.
Does anyone know what I will need to purchase to mount my OTA?
Thanks and have a great day
MIke

You will need a Vixen compatible dovetail for the SCT. Attach that to your OTA, remove the dovetail with the rings from the mount, slide the SCT into place, and have fun.

March 24, 2012 12:14 PM Forum: Telescope Making

12" parks miror

Posted By Rod Mollise

joseph rueck said:

I am trying to figure out what to do with my parks 12"mirror its signed Clemente it needs a redcoat i had it coated once before from an optical company i worked for its siting in my apartment gathering dust i cant afford a mount if anyone knows of a mount that's near free im looking for an old cave or ds 16 equatorial, if i sell it i wont be able to rafford to replace unless i get a real good job i think the mirror goes for around 1500 i bought it for much less if anybody can give me a good idea of what its worth or if you might be interested send me an email @ rueck.joseph3@gmail.com this mirror is a planet killer i still swear i saw the comet that slammed Jupiter b4 it was discovered i thought it was an edge on galaxy near Jupiter i bought the mirror from scope city back in the late 80s

Build a simple Dobsonian tube and mount for it. That will, if done right, prove better methinks than an old timey GEM.

April 6, 2012 05:18 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Is it a violation of the TOS?

Posted By Rod Mollise

Were they photos of the telescope in question?

Was it copyrighted material?

April 6, 2012 05:20 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

What will happen to Kodak?

Posted By Rod Mollise

Lee Spain said:

Kodak declared bankruptcy earlier this week. This leaves lots of questions to speculate on:

What will happen to them?
What will happen to film photography?
Will their cameras get cheap?
Will they still make cameras?
Will they still make film?
8O

That remains to be seen.

It will continue to die no matter what happens to Kodak.

No.

They haven't made cameras in a long, long time. Not since freaking 1969 (Motormatic). Any Kodak branded camera since that time has been imported.

Yes, as long as it is profitable.

wink

April 29, 2012 09:28 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

May 2, 2012 04:28 PM Forum: Mounts

installing push to on a lightbridge 16"

Posted By Rod Mollise

David DeVillier said:

I would like suggestions on encoders and controllers. I am mechanically capable and I already built a new base for the scope with a 1/4" hole in the center of the pivot bolt.I have Skysafari pro on an ipad and it would be nice to operate the scope with this. Info on where to get this equipment will be appreciated.
I would like to keep it on a budget but all suggestions are welcome.Thanks

http://www.jimsmobile.com

http://www.skyeng.com/