New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Mollise

November 4, 2014 06:24 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Older Meade Series 4000 Eyepieces

Posted By Rod Mollise

Chris Nisbet said:

Recently I started to aquire some older Meade eyepieces on A-Mart. I use a C11 and had two 2" eyepieces-TeleVue 20mm and an older Meade 32mm SWA Plossl (along with an assortment of 1.25" eyepieces as well). I was looking for some older, Meade Series 4000 2" eyepieces. I came across the Meade 8.8 UWA "smoothie" and a 14mm UWA (with eyecup) a while ago and recently, I purchased a Meade 2" 40mm SWA "smoothie" and the Meade 56mm Super Plossl (with eyecup).

I must say the 8.8, 14 and the 40 gives views that make you say "WOW". That 40mm SWA is one massive eyepiece (although the 14mm isn't small!). Looking back in the old ads, I did not realize that the 40mm was the most expensive of the Series 4000. I had heard about the 8.8 and the 14 but very little about the 40mm. I really like that big 40mm SWA.

Chris N
Cedar, MN

I've always liked the Meade eyepieces fine...and if the price is right, go for it. Today, I'd probably buy one of Explore Scientific's eyepieces if the price of one of the older Meades was in spittin' distance, but, still, good eyepieces.

November 8, 2014 12:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Anyone know if this site is legit?

Posted By Rod Mollise

Bill Schlosser said:

http://www.sale-telescopes.com/products/Takahashi-Mewlon%252d250CRS-Corrected-Mewlon.html

The old saying is "If it's too good to be true..."

Seems so in this case - the prices are crazy low...

Just curious if anyone has ever ordered anything through them...

Thanks,

Bill Schlosser

They are good at one thing: separating you from your $$$ wink

November 13, 2014 08:08 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Not new to astronomy but very rusty!

Posted By Rod Mollise

Randy Ward said:

Howdy!
My name is Randy and I was a member here many years ago as MrCoaster. I'm looking to get back into observing so here I am back at Astromart. In 1999 I purchased a Televue Genesis SDF from an Astromart member (15 years ago!). I remember very well. We drove over 900 miles round trip to pick it up. It was an awesome scope that served for many years but I recently sold it before we moved from California to the heart of Texas.

Now I want aperature. I got the fever! Browsing the internet I see that scope prices are much more reasonable now than 15 years ago. I'd love a big dob but a decent SCT might be in my price range. I particular enjoy the moon and planets so the long focal length is very appealling. I'm just starting to do some research so any advice much appreciated!

Cheers!

-Randy

Best bet? As part of your reintroduction, find and join the nearest club. Don't buy a large scope you have not seen/tried in person. They are much larger than they are in those pretty ads. And, while you might be all gung-ho about setting up a 12-inch SCT to look at the Moon at first, they very well might wear off in a right big hurry. :lol:

November 14, 2014 08:01 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Outreach EP Suggestions?

Posted By Rod Mollise

It depends on your definition of "wide field" and "budget," but Explore Scientific's 82-degree eyepieces are very nicely priced.

Gotta have cheaper? Look at the same company's 68-degree oculars...

November 17, 2014 02:31 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Useful magnification to split double stars

Posted By Rod Mollise

The actual answer is "it depends on more than your aperture." Seeing, optical quality, and observer experience are often every bit as important. wink

November 30, 2014 08:46 AM Forum: LUNATICS

Strange line across Manillus

Posted By Rod Mollise

Ron Streetenberger said:

The crater Manillus(four o,clock from the Appinines) appears to be sporting a new feature. Any Comments?

Given the size and resolution of your image, it's hard to tell what, if anything is going on.

I will say I've viewed and imaged Manilius (at high resolution) the last couple of nights and didn't _notice_ anything out of the ordinary. Do you have a bigger picture?

November 30, 2014 12:45 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Coating damage from cleaning?

Posted By Rod Mollise

Hard to tell from the picture, but I much doubt the coatings are damaged. Coatings on these eyepieces are tough, camera lens tough.

December 1, 2014 12:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

SCTs Gone Video

Posted By Rod Mollise

The stock focuser is more than good enough. I have installed a JMI motofocus on my C11, however, to allow me to focus at the monitor, but you do not need anything fancier than that. wink

December 1, 2014 12:40 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Coating damage from cleaning?

Posted By Rod Mollise

Don't know what to tell you about what to do, but I would say that he's likely been playing around with cleaning.

What would I do? I'd tell him if that is what it turns out to be, I will refund him his money MINUS what TV charges to clean it and reassemble it plus shipping. wink

December 9, 2014 08:20 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Ritchey Chretien for Planets

Posted By Rod Mollise

Thomas Marshall said:

I am seeing some AT6RC or equivalent Ritchey Chretien scopes with incredibly fine photo's at really nice prices. Everything I read about these scopes sounds good, BUT they stress that these are designed for astrophotography. The resolution I see in photo's amazes me and my Question is does this fine performance of resolution and color fidelity translate across the board to planetary/terrestrial/VISUAL use?? I am considering purchase, but I only do visual work, and don't want to purchase something that is weak in this regard. Thanks Thomas Marshall

An RC can do _OK_ for visual. But it will be limited as to what it can do on the Solar System due to the large central obstruction which lessens contrast. IOW, OK, but not a good choice specifically for looking at planets. wink