Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Mollise

December 14, 2014 02:43 PM Forum: Mounts

ETX LS 6

Posted By Rod Mollise

Joseph Serio said:

Hi Guys, is there a wedge for the LS 6?

Thx

No...there isn't, I'm afraid. I don't believe the LS-6 has an equatorial mode.

December 22, 2014 01:05 PM Forum: Star Parties

Texas Star Party 2015: Registration is open!

Posted By Rod Mollise

Ain't gonna happen this year, but I hope to be back in 2016. wink

January 4, 2015 08:03 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Bright eyepieces?

Posted By Rod Mollise

Any dimming due to more lens elements is extremely minor due to modern coatings. Also, your eyes will not easily detect anything less than a 10% decrease in brightness. The key is not looking for a "brighter" eyepiece, but learning to use what you have. Which is appropriate for viewing what, etc. Your 5-inch delivers plenty of light for many, many objects, BTW. wink

January 8, 2015 09:02 AM Forum: Comets

Comet Lovejoy

Posted By Rod Mollise

Last looked at it night before last (last night was too cold--fraking 20F). In my C11 it was quite a sight, with a tiny nucleus, extensive coma and hints of a tail with a 16mm 100-degree eyepiece at f/6.3. Reminded me of those glorious 1990s nights with Hyakutake and Hale Bopp. It was surprisingly bright in 10x50 binoculars, and I almost convinced myself I could see it naked eye from my not overly dark backyard. wink

January 9, 2015 05:04 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Meade is hiding in China under an Alias

Posted By Rod Mollise

When was the last time? In the current issue of Sky & Telescope. On page 5 to be exact. wink

January 12, 2015 08:35 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Surviving the cold

Posted By Rod Mollise

16 and 17 errors were likely NOT because the motor controller "stopped sending a signal," but because your power was too low. Cold affects batteries badly and can make AC power connections dicey.

Make it easy on yourself vis-à-vis the HC: just rubberband a chemical hand warmer pack to your hand control. The only component affected by cold is the LCD display.

No, capacitors are not overly affected by cold. Your GPS likely suffers a problem with cable/connectors in the cold.

wink

January 18, 2015 10:02 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Bausch & Lomb 8001 pro

Posted By Rod Mollise

Philip Tetrault said:

Hi all. New to the site. Just getting back into astronomy after many years of not having a telescope. I picked up a Bausch&lomb 8001 Pro. The guy I got it from was an engineer at B&L in east hartford ct and said this scope was an early version. The tripod is a heavy version that they decided not to use due to cost.
I am looking for the manual for this scope but have not found a pdf file anywhere and the folks at Bushnell said they didn't have anything for that model. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can probably answer your questions. There's really not much in the manual that's overly necessary...it is at heart a simple telescope.

The good? This was the best, really the only, good SCT B&L/Criterion ever produced. smile

January 18, 2015 10:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Bausch & Lomb 8001 pro

Posted By Rod Mollise

Oh, you may be interested in reading the material on your scope in my (free) Used SCT Guide:

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/used/index.htm

January 22, 2015 04:29 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

North Celestial Pole

Posted By Rod Mollise

1. You don't need to see Polaris or use the polar finder. Use the ASPA procedure in the hand control instead.

2. The mount is quite immune to goto accuracy problems caused by polar alignment. Make sure you are centering the correct stars and using up and right keys only for final centering.

February 6, 2015 06:12 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

“Your Favorite” or “The Best” Telescope for Visual

Posted By Rod Mollise

Paul Knight said:

I have been dreaming of building an observatory. I’m interested to hear opinions on what great telescopes are out there for visual use (no photography as I prefer sketching). Binoviewing is required--either a binocular telescope or a binoviewer. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

Celestron 14� SCT
Tele Vue 5� Refractor
Questar 7� Mak

For visual use, I would like to minimize chromatic aberration, maximize contrast, and maximize sharpness. I would say 50% of my observations are planetary, 40% deepsky, and 10% lunar/solar.

I found an interesting review comparing a C14 to a Questar 7. Per the reviewer, while the C14 obviously beats the Q7 in pure light-gathering power, the Q7 exhibited superior contrast.

Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

If I had to choose amount your three, it would easily be the C14. For visual use it will blow your other contenders away. Easily.