Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Happy Halloween: Witch's Broom Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Mollise

February 17, 2015 12:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

using a zero image shift micro focuser with a mead

Posted By Rod Mollise

I doubt it. If by "micro focuser" you mean a Crayford on the rear cell, probably not. You'd run our of back focus. Not sure why you'd want both, anyhow.

December 9, 2016 10:16 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

FINALLY GOT AN ASTROSCAN

Posted By Rod Mollise

I certainly wouldn't call it a "kid's toy." It _can_ be a decent RFT. In some senses it has been obsoleted by Chinese scopes like the StarBlast with better focusers (sometimes) better primaries, and collimatable primaries. But not in all ways.

No one has yet bettered its basic industrial design. It is perfectly suited to hand-holding it while scanning the skies.

Its liabilities? I have never seen one with a 1/8th wave primary and precious few that meet 1/4 wave. While the non collimatable primary mount CAN be OK, it's not unusual for the scope to get out of alignment as it ages. It can be collimated, but it is not a picnic. The focuser's problems are far more grave than just a skinny draw-tube: it is a lousy focuser.

None of these things really prevent the scope from doing what it was designed to do, providing spectacular low power views given its modest cost, even back in the 1970s. wink

December 9, 2016 10:19 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade ETX 125 OBSERVER

Posted By Rod Mollise

mike montreal said:

anyone know much about this scope? any input would be much appreciated!

thanks!

AFAIK, it has not shipped yet. I suspect that it will be much like the revived ETX-90, however.