My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Merlin Raymond

September 8, 2003 02:22 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Binoculars

Posted By Merlin Raymond

I just purchased a pair of 20X70 chinese made with a red lense coating and Ni filled at a local gun show. They were way too cheap to be any good, or are they? As always it clouded up that night but in the daylight they seem crisp to the edge and bright even at dusk. They seem well collumated. Anyone had any expierence with these? Have I just thrown away $69.00, or have I found the deal of the centry?

December 28, 2003 09:19 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Moisture Inside a SCT....????UPDATE..

Posted By Merlin Raymond

They make a fan for cooling down an SCT. It uses a tube that goes in the visiual back and blows filtered air inside the scope. These work well for removing condinsation inside. Much better than removing the corrector plate. IMHO
Good luck
Magic Man
SSMO

December 31, 2003 04:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: COLD weather gloves!

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Try finger-less fishing gloves made out of neopream. Sold at most sporting goods stores, they don't have fuzz to catch on screws or leave lint on your optics. They are finger-less and are warm even when wet. Sell around here for about ten bucks. Cheap at double the price.
Dark skies
Magic Man
SSMO

April 2, 2004 01:03 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Motor Focus

Posted By Merlin Raymond

I am setting up a C8 for imaging and need input on wich one to get. A JMI with thier focus system or a ROBO focus system?

June 3, 2004 04:06 PM Forum: Star Parties

Mt Bachler Star Party

Posted By Merlin Raymond

The Mt Bachelor Star party is coming up July 14th-18th at Bend Or. I know this is the same weekend as Table Mountain but Table Mt is limited to 700 and Mt Bachelor still has no limit. It's held in the parking lot of the skis resort so dust is not a problem. All of you that can't make Table Mountain should check this out at www.MBSP.org.
Clear Dark Skies
Magic Man

July 8, 2004 11:05 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Star Shooter Mobile Observatory

Posted By Merlin Raymond

For those of you that might remember previous posts I thought I would share some progress photos. 8O More photos are available on yahoo groups under construction.

July 19, 2004 02:30 PM Forum: Star Parties

Follow up to MBSP

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Just a note about the Mt Bachlor Star party. The skies were great Wed, and Thurs. Fair on Fri, and Sat. The seeing at 6400 ft with dark skies was the best. Celestron was there and so was Tele-View. The food was great and no dust to contend with. Those of you that didn't go missed a great star party.
Merlin
SSMO

August 15, 2004 08:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron CG Advanced Mount

Posted By Merlin Raymond

I am looking for an inexpensive goto mount for astrophotography. The new CG advanced mount looks good for just under $800.00 but I'm not sure. Has anyone seen and used this mount? Can it be converted to a pier? Any first hand experience would help.
Magic Man
SSMO

October 4, 2004 06:38 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Star Shooter Mabile Observatory

Posted By Merlin Raymond

I promised more pictures and here they are. Still more to do but I can see the light at the end. grin
Magic Man
SSMO

May 10, 2005 04:17 AM Forum: Star Parties

MBSP

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Not to soon to be thinking about the Mount Bachelor Star Party. This year it is the Wed-Sun after the fourth of July. This is really a gem to be discovered in the Northwest. Held at the Mt Bachelor Ski resort at 6,000 ft there is little dirt to contend with, real toilets and a restaurant. That is tough to beat! It is worth checking out their web site www.mbsp.org. Hope to see you all there.
Magic Man
SSMO
PS This will be the first trip of Star Shooter Mobile Observatory.