My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Merlin Raymond

July 4, 2005 08:24 AM Forum: Star Parties

MBSP

Posted By Merlin Raymond

MBSP starts Wed in Bend. I hope to see all who planned to attend up there. I am leaving tomorrow early! I will give a report when I get back.
Magic Man
SSMO

July 17, 2005 11:48 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Star Shooter Mobile Observatory

Posted By Merlin Raymond

After two and a half years working on this thing I have finially finneshed it. It made its first trip to the Mount Bachelor Star Party in Bend Or. some 500 miles round trip; a kind of first light so to speak. The party was a bust due to weather but I gave tours to everyone there, some 140+ people or so. It was well recieved. With a few more tweaks to do here and there I am sure it will give me a long life of observing. I have posted pics of construction over the years and now this is the completed project.
Clear Dark Skies
Magic Man
SSMO

July 31, 2005 07:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mounts

Posted By Merlin Raymond

I am getting into astrophotography and need a little advise. I am mounting an 11" cass so the mount needs to be fairly beefy. So far it looks like the Celestron CGE or the Losmandy G11 with Gimini GTO. Money is a little of a concern but + - $200 seems minor. How about some good advise please.
Magic Man
SSMO

January 2, 2006 01:32 PM Forum: Meade

Mead MTS SN8

Posted By Merlin Raymond

I have a frend that can nolonger use this scope and is looking to sell it. Does anyone know much about it and what it might be worth?
Thanks
Magic Man
SSMO

May 23, 2006 09:53 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Explora-Dome

Posted By Merlin Raymond

For those interested they have started shipping. There will be changes to the product as things are found out about it. I have received mine and found it a good investment. At the risk of sounding commercial you should check out this site if you are looking to build a new observatory.http://www.pappasgrills.com/exploradome.aspx
Clear Dark skies
Magic Man
Star Shooter Mobile Observatory

June 18, 2006 05:45 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re: Fire Hazard From Plastic Domes?

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Herb has a ligament concern. But I see all materials have a problem of one kind or another. Metal and fiberglass both dent and break from impact of hail, base balls, and golf balls. Both will melt and or burn in a forest fire. Metal will rust leak at the seams, and attract lightning. Plastic will not dent or break from any of the above. In fact I hit mine with a baseball bat to show this feature. It will burn. It will melt in temps above 450. Other than this I can find no other downfall with this kind of dome. Weighing all factors, my scope is safer in plastic than either of the others. Fire tends to be the least factor in my considerations and I have yet to find an insurance company that will insure my observatory anywhere other than in my yard for anything.

August 13, 2006 10:01 PM Forum: Star Parties

OSP

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Oregon Star Party is coming up a week after this. Anyone going? I am planning on being there with Star Shooter Mobile Observatory. This will be it's third public appearance and largest. Hope to see you there. You won't be able to miss me so step up and say Hi.
Clear Dark Skies

Magic Man
Merlin J Raymond
SSMO

December 13, 2006 11:35 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re: Questions from a beginner

Posted By Merlin Raymond

This is my solution to all you ask. A picture is worth a thousand. You also didn't say cost was a factor.

July 3, 2008 09:32 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Not seeing add #570748

Posted By Merlin Raymond

HI Herb Was looking for the new add from Chris Cole for ExploraDome and don't see it. I can see other adds just not his. Others on the forum don't seem to have the problem but they are not in the area. Is this a regional block or is something else going on I would like to know? Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks
Merlin J Raymond

October 8, 2002 11:13 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Garage door dome power

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Replace the drive screw with a friction wheel that rubs on the dome ring. You can track the rotation with an encoder. don't see a problem. If you need more help just post. Magic Man