Posts Made By: Merlin Raymond

December 4, 2002 04:31 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Type of pier

Posted By Merlin Raymond

There has been much written about pier design from people much better educated than I but here is my two cents. A concrete block about three feet cubed with rebar. Make sure you leave about four pieces sticking up ten to twelve inches in the center to tye the pier into it. Then pour a twelve inch sonar tube up to height. Remember to place anchor bolts for your wedge in the top. A lot of care needs to be taken in making sure your measurments are right. It's hard to change once it sets up.
Ok the short answer, make it all concrete and as much one piece as possible.
GOOD LUCK

December 14, 2002 05:43 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Christmas View

Posted By Merlin Raymond

I find it most informative and humorus. Jolly old Ed has way too much time on his hands.
Merry Christmas to All

January 4, 2003 07:12 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Polydome fish tank?

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Hi Jason, Thought I might drop a line in here. I am using the rim from a fider optic cable spool for the bottom frame and the rotation ring. Around here you can get them for free or at least scrap metal prices. They are 96" in diameter and 1.5" square tubing. By welding support brackets on the bottom ring I can use skateboard wheels for the rollers and the top ring rolls real easy. Add four refrigerator wheels at 90 dagrees to keep the rings aligned, alittle silicone tube sealant and some screws to hold the dome down and viola! You have a rotating dome. Tom has the right idea about the shutter it seals up real nice using the silicone.
Hope this helps, I have found the simpler you keep things the better they work. Keep us up to date if you can and we will help all we can.
Magic Man ;~)

April 6, 2003 03:48 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Question

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Cleardarksky.com Covers seeing conditions for just about everywhere in North America. Start there.
Good Luck
Merlin J Raymond
Magic Man

April 15, 2003 05:48 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Dome centering wheels

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Bill I don't know about spring loaded but I am planning on useing neumatic. I have found some 6" OD that the air can be adjusted in to center the dome while allowing for an uneven or out of round shape. You might look into this. Also if you only use three wheels it allows for a nonperfect shape.
Magic Man

May 2, 2003 06:22 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Do I have bad breath?

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Hell no just got a little tied up is all. Hopfully I'll have some new photos soon.
Magin Man
SSMO

May 11, 2003 12:57 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Gun control survey...

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Andrew
James is right. You know my point of view from the last thread. Guns do not cause crime. Poverty, feeling of helplessness, greed, insecurity, all contribute more to violent crime than the availibilty of any gun. Check out Englands violent crime rate sence they outlawed guns. It shows the difenitive proof. Also of note is all of John Lott's books. He started out as a anti gunnner.
James
Also a problem is accruate reporting of the facts. Our local paper connot report a crime that the weapon was not an "automatic". This scares people into thinking machine guns were used and I think you know the facts on that.

May 11, 2003 01:14 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Mule Deer Buck below a Large Dam

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Good looking buck. Where might you have seen this animal?

May 11, 2003 03:43 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Gun control survey...

Posted By Merlin Raymond

I re-thought your question and have another answer for you. Yes new gun laws might just help fight crime. If every criminal knew he might be shot for breaking into someones car, or stealing from someone, or asulting another, maybe crime would go down. For instance,I do not believe I would shoot a kid for jockey boxing my car. But! he should know I just might and that I have the right. Yes change the law so deadly force can be used to protect your private property.

May 12, 2003 08:11 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Home depot trailer...anyone tried this?

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Joseph
That is exactly where I started out but things do get complicated. There is wind stress, and other factors that will need to be figured in but I do believe it can be done. My problem is I over complicate things. So keep you focus on what you are doing and resist "inprovements" along the way. After all is said and done you can always go back and inprove. JMTC
Magic Man
Star Shooter Mobile Observatory