May 14, 2003 01:26 PM Forum: Home Observatories

SSMO

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Photo update on frame.

May 20, 2003 04:41 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Playhouse Observatory?

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Dan
I would look to polystar here in this thread. A 8x10 playroom with a computer cabinet that can be locked with a agoining viewing dome. Should work out fine. A frend of mine has done just that for his kids and for himself at night. Good luck and keep us posted.
Magic Man
SSMO

July 25, 2003 11:10 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Upgrades to my older C8

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Hey John wheres your pic? I was wondering just what you look like, or are we hiding from AMW. :-) I'll have to show you a pic of my C8 when I set it up next.
Dark Skies (if not clear)
Magic Man
SSMO

July 27, 2003 03:41 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Weather Station

Posted By Merlin Raymond

I use a ballance plate that drops when it gets wet blocking a opticle switch. easy to build and very sensitive. One or two drops are enough to set it off.
Magic Man
SSMO

August 10, 2003 10:02 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Just Returned from 5K' Elev. E. OR.

Posted By Merlin Raymond

John: Went last week to the Mt Batchler Star Party. About the same altitude. WE got there a day early on Wed. and had excelent seeing. We manageged to get up to 500x on a 20" and 10" scope. The view was great but alas on Thur. the sky became some what less stable and could only manage 200x or so. Then Friday it clouded over and stayed that way for the rest of the weekend. I guess the moral is sometimes we get lucky some times we don't. I bet the trip to Ritter was great anyway. Did you get a chance to swim? The water is great.
Dark Clear Skies
Magic Man
SSMO

October 23, 2003 09:02 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Ideas on opening roll-off roof

Posted By Merlin Raymond

You might use a simple winch sold at Harbor Freight and Tool for about $100.00. It would have more than enough power and a simple pulley system would do the job.
Clear Dark Skies to the land of a thousand lakes.
Magic Man
SSMO

October 24, 2003 09:51 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

ClearSky Clock Problems ....

Posted By Merlin Raymond

Works for me here in Hillsboro Or. NPF

November 24, 2003 02:36 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re. A few observatory completion questions

Posted By Merlin Raymond

De-humidfier sold for mobile trailer houses goes a long way to keeping condinsation down. Also just a oscilating fan moving air, without heat, will keep dew from forming and won't add to the cool down issue. As for the floor, rubber mat sold for industrial purposes will ease the pain of feet and legs and will cushion parts that may fall. Also won't hide small screws that may fall. Harbor freight sells this fairly cheap but can be found other places.
Clear Dark Skies
Magic Man
SSMO

March 22, 2004 03:09 PM Forum: Home Observatories

mobile observatory

Posted By Merlin Raymond

John
I can tell you alot about what you speak as I am walking that path right now. You didn't say if you were going to use it for visual or photo use. If you are doing photos the jack stands won't be steady enough. You would do better to set the pier on the ground through a hole in the floor. To confirm this set in your trailer and feel the wind blow against it. Next you can rotate the dome by hand if you are in it, it dosen't take a lot of attention to keep it up, or any standerd observarory drive system if you are elsewhere. I am useing a cheap drum winch and a drive wheel to rotate mine. If you are interested we can go into better detail in direct email and not clutter the forum. My Email is merlin@northwest.com.
Dark Clear skies
Magic Man
Star Shooter Mobile Observatory

July 26, 2004 07:24 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Data cable requirements

Posted By Merlin Raymond

I would pull Cat5 Network cable. You can run GIGABit over it later if you want and it's cheap. But don't run it with the elec. It needs it's own conduit and should be ran 18" or more away. I hope this helps.
Dark Skies
Merlin J Raymond
SSMO