My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Colton

September 22, 2004 07:59 PM Forum: Meade

Need Help with Aligning an LX90

Posted By David Colton

Hurray. After five months of hazy skies, the last few nights have actually been very clear. I'm having problems aligning my LX90 because most of my yard is heavily treed (very tall hardwoods) and so this time of year with the leaves still on the trees it's pretty much impossible to use stars in the S, SW, or SE for alignment.

First, is there any way to add an alignment star to the database? Second, if I use the Polar alignment routine (I have fairly unobstructed views to the North) do I place the scope in the home position when I start the alignment routine? Thanks.

October 1, 2004 07:51 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Apogee RA-88-SA

Posted By David Colton

I'd been interested in reading early impressions of this 'binoscope.' I'm wondering how much achromatic aberration it produces, how easy it is to adjust and come to focus, and how big it is (size and weight).

October 1, 2004 07:51 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Apogee RA-88-SA

Posted By David Colton

I'd been interested in reading early impressions of this 'binoscope.' I'm wondering how much achromatic aberration it produces, how easy it is to adjust and come to focus, and how big it is (size and weight).

October 24, 2004 04:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Good Price on Nikon Binoculars

Posted By David Colton

FYI - I purchased a Nikon 10x50 binocular couple of years ago and I'm very pleased with the quality. I saw today that Dick's sporting goods has a pair for sale - regularly $150 on sale for $100.

October 29, 2004 08:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

60mm scope -Do you really need an APO

Posted By David Colton

S&T has a nice review of the Teleview 60mm APO and a summary of other small aperture, short focal length refractors. All but one are APO's. However, since its unlikely that you'd be using one of these scopes as your primary tool for lunar and planetary observing, what's the big deal about wanting it to be an APO? Seems to me that its a very costly feature that really isn't necessary for low power, wide field views.

November 24, 2004 03:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Apogee Rich Field 80mm

Posted By David Colton

I'm thinking about buying a small scope for multiple purposes including quick night viewing, nature observing, and using as a telephoto lens for my digital camera. I've been following the information about the upcoming William Optics 60mm (achro or semi-apo ~ the marketing literature doesn't make that too clear) and also see where Apogee is offering a low-priced ($130) rich=field 80mm scope. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Apogee?

December 5, 2004 12:20 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

What Can I Really See in a PST

Posted By David Colton

Is there a site with pictures taken of the sun using a PST? I'm thinking of buying one and want to be realistic about what I can expect to see.

December 9, 2004 07:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Alt-az mount

Posted By David Colton

I'd appreciate feedback about the quality of the alt-az mount and tripod now being offered by Digital Astronomy. Use would be with a small scope such as the PST and/or Orion 80ST.

December 31, 2004 08:51 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

William Optics Refractor

Posted By David Colton

A month or two ago William Optics came out with a 62mm doublet achromat. Apparently these are in limited supply. I now see on the Anacortes site that WO will be offering a 66mm in an achromat and APO. These new scopes don't even appear on the WO website! Any information about these scopes?

January 18, 2005 05:41 PM Forum: APM

Difference between CNC and LW

Posted By David Colton

Just curious: It's obvious that the designations CNC and LW refer to different focal lengths, but what do these letters stand for?