ATWB Customer Gallery

NGC 1499 (California Nebula)

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Stephen Lloyd

July 28, 2002 11:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Lumicon's UHC or Hutech's IDAS NB Filter,???

Posted By Stephen Lloyd

I was just about to buy my Lumicon UHC Filter after reading all the good feed back from this site,But has anyone seen any reviews on the IDAS Narrow Band Filter,from Hutech Astronomical Products.The spectral plot of the idas looks slighty better than the uhc,(close to 96%)but I would love to here from someone that has actually looked through both.
cheers.

July 30, 2002 03:43 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Surface brightness v Magnitude

Posted By Stephen Lloyd

Can anyone tell me where on the web I can find a list of Messier @ NGC objects with their Surface Brightness Magnitued listed rather than there more commonly but less usefull Photography magnitued.
It might help explane why I cant find alot of stuff and help choose my next lot of targets better.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

August 7, 2002 04:57 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Posted By Stephen Lloyd

August 10, 2002 01:05 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: 20x80 binocs or 7x50 or what???

Posted By Stephen Lloyd

Maybe everyone allready knows this but I've been using binoculars for years and wasn't aware until just recently that if you hold your bino's at the very end where the objective lenses are they become a hole lot more steady.
Now I can hold my 16x60s without to much trouble.
I was also very surprised when I first brought them last year how much more I could see compared to to my old 7x50s. Im not sure weather it was the extra aperture or magnification which made the huge difference but it was very apparent.
I also tried Celestrons 20x80s and was disappointed at the amount of false colour around edge of bright objects,especially since they cost 2 1/2x more than the Pentax pair I eventually brought.
I hope this helps Rob and happy shopping.
Steve

August 11, 2002 02:25 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Helix Nebula, I finally found it.

Posted By Stephen Lloyd

After a late night watching "Die Hard 3" I decided to go outside and hunt this sucker(NGC7293) down even if it took me all night.
Armed with my new pair of 16x60 binoculars and a good chart I went out side and lay on my back on the decking.The much smaller field of view in the 16x bino's is still taking me alot of getting use to as I kept getting lost but all of a sudden there it was. It was actually alot brighter than I expected so I went in side and grabbed my C8.I wasnt sure if I would be able to see it with the extra magnification but to my suprize it looked even better.Wow!.By now I was woundering where It had been hiding for the last 15 years.
My next challenge will be to get a photography.
P.S I live at -43 south which helped alot.

October 3, 2002 12:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

19mm or 22mm panoptic

Posted By Stephen Lloyd

Hi, I have a C8 and I am looking at getting an eyepiece with abit more Wow! factor over my 26mm plossel. I think I have narrowed the field down to these two. I only have a 1-1/4 inch right angle and the 22mm looks alittle bit clumsy with the 2" barrel but would give a bigger field of view. I also use my focal/reducer when viewing DSO. If any one has a real favorite I would love to know what it is.
Cheers Steve.

January 29, 2003 07:32 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Kodak E200. Should I push process

Posted By Stephen Lloyd

Ive heard that Ektachrome 200 can handle push processing quite well.Maybe 1 or 2 stops. Can any one tell me if they get as good a result as just exposing the film for twice as long.Looking forward to any input.Steve

December 3, 2004 11:30 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Canon D20/ Mirror Lock

Posted By Stephen Lloyd

Ive only ever used a film SLR to take my photo's of the planets and the moon and by using the hat trick I have never had shots that I was really satified with. After a Quick try with my wifes new pocket digital camara though the eyepiece taking photos of the Moon I was instantly converted to digital.In 5 minutes I was taking better photos than I had taken in the last 20 years,I also felt a little ripped off and thought I must be cheating some how.
Anyway,If I got a D20 for myself would I be buying the same old problems as I dont think it has a mirror lock or are some of you getting really good results some other way.
I guess if you own a D10 or Rebel you will also be able to help.Cheers Steve

June 9, 2005 02:14 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Collimation problem

Posted By Stephen Lloyd

I have a C8 which I am having trouble collimating.When I get really close one of the screws seams to run out of adjustment and gets really tight while the other two screws are quite loose. I've tried winding them all out a couple of turns and starting again but allways seem to end up in the same place.Is there anything else I can do?
Looking forward to your wisdom,Cheers

August 7, 2002 04:54 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

ADVICE SOUGHT RE FILTER PROBLEM

Posted By Stephen Lloyd

Kevin,
I have a 2" deepsky filter and yes it is male and female threaded. The filter screws onto my off-axis guider at the camera end and then the camera t-ring screws onto the other end of the filter. I hope this is of some help.
Steve