Forrest Egan

Green Heron

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mike Gibson

August 25, 2002 07:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Meade 201XT & G11 Compatible? Urgent- Sale!

Posted By Mike Gibson

My very limited experience with the 201XT and Losmandy is that it will only correct one axis at a time. It needs standard CCD guider port connections and a floating ground. The ST4 is certainly preferred to a 201XT!

See this link for an example in practice:

http://pw1.netcom.com/~ahighe/astrosetup.html

September 7, 2002 01:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: TeleVue 102/101 how great?

Posted By Mike Gibson

Hmmm, let's see. Have used the TV102 and FS102 side-by-side on planets with GM8/G-11, both equally capable for practical purposes. The NP101 is a wide field Petzval that also is superb on planets. Advantage NP101.

Comparing the NP101 to the 7" Mak is almost apples to oranges, but when cooled and behaving well the Mak's resolving power should prevail under ideal conditions. The TV102 or NP101 will give more consistent performance under varying conditions. 7" Mak has Goto if desired, but also a large thermal to inhibit cooldown. Recommend try before buy!

September 12, 2002 09:25 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Vixen Saddle on DUP

Posted By Mike Gibson

Not wishing to change rings to different plates, was wondering if anyone knows of a Vixen saddle adapter that bolts to the Losmandy DUP. Then I could use scopes on a SP/GP/CG5/LXD55 or G11 depending on need. The adapter would need to rise a little from the DUP for ring capscrew clearance. Thanks for any info!

December 16, 2002 08:07 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

CR150 Collimating Mirror Cell?

Posted By Mike Gibson

Anacortes ad copy for the Celestron CR150-HD lists a "collimating mirror cell". Is this an error or a poor description of the adjustable objective cell?

December 23, 2002 03:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Virtues of an oil-spaced apo vs air spaced?

Posted By Mike Gibson

See this AP group post for an explanation:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-ug/message/8695

June 9, 2003 02:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: C-9.25 JMI SCT focuser

Posted By Mike Gibson

I can only think of two issues off hand:

1) 35mm Pan / 31mm Nagler or similar with the f/6.3 reducer corrector may not reach focus with a 2" diagonal.

2) How to lock the stock focuser to get repeatable fine focus from the JMI unit (with motofocus?)

June 14, 2003 08:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Eyepiece not coming to focus with reducer

Posted By Mike Gibson

This is a common challenge for the C9.25. I have the same problem with a 31mm Nagler or 35mm Panoptic with the reducer. There is a cheap and expensive solution:

Cheap: take a hacksaw to your visual back and diagonal or make a short PVC substitute.

Expensive: Buy the TeleVue SCT shorty visual back and 2" diagonal with stubby nose piece.

Third option - skip the diagonal and get a crick in your neck! smile

July 1, 2003 08:22 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ST-237A Discontinued?

Posted By Mike Gibson

Shucks, it sure looks that way. SBIG's 2003 run is complete, with no hint of more to follow. Does anyone know of plans for an updated entry level, cooled CCD camera with USB interface from SBIG or other manufacturer?

July 17, 2003 07:29 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: AP 5" Refractor

Posted By Mike Gibson

Well, we can discuss a possible fair price, but it may draw more from someone seeking this particular Christen triplet (late 80's?). The AR5 OTA sans lens is worth $50 (maybe).

If it was still original in the stock tube it would get $2800 - $3800 tops on a good day of auction frenzy. This based on it being a premo Starfire as pictured here:

http://www.astromart.com/viewad.asp?cid=194144

Take away the Starfire tube, AP focuser, and add a little buyer's risk (do you know the objective's S/N if a buyer asks?), it is worth far less.

How much less? I would say at least 50% less, if not more. But that's just my two cents...

July 17, 2003 07:58 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fastar CCD Cameras

Posted By Mike Gibson

Besides the PixCel/ST-237, and pixel size issues aside, what other CCD cameras have a form factor that works with a Fastar SCT? TIA - Mike