mikhail vasilenko

NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mike Gibson

August 20, 2003 05:36 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: For lack of two screws, I have no scope...

Posted By Mike Gibson

I would remove the GM-8's Dec motor and worm if the G11 saddle will then clear and tough it out with RA drive only until you can get the right parts or fasteners. Think of this as an opportunity to master polar alignment.

August 24, 2003 04:22 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Boring Side of Mars?

Posted By Mike Gibson

Who said we would only have the boring side of Mars at opposition? I see all kinds of nooks and crannies after processing!

August 28, 2003 04:17 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sirius Mars 2003 Filter

Posted By Mike Gibson

Anacortes sent me two Sirius Optics Mars 2003 filters in the 1.25" format ($39 each). They come in snap cases with serialized spectral property reports. The bandpasses are not identical, which is to be expected.

Tonight in a binoviewer and 6" refractor Mars came alive with contrast. I was using 7.4mm TV Plossls with the filters. The planets color seems almost violet, with darker regions much more obvious. It's like seeing a processed Mars without garish excess. Light transmission is still good, much better than a #23 or #25.

I hope these 2003 filters work in 2005!

August 29, 2003 06:51 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

ODing on Mars

Posted By Mike Gibson

Mars madness is in full swing. I'm running three...four scopes a night. Webcam and visual until dawn...sleep like a vampire.

Actually I am trying to get the best combo for public viewing this weekend at a remote site. A 5" achro refractor is portable and has a driven mount, but the undriven 12.5" Starmaster gives views to die for. The C9.25 on a driven mount would be a nice compromise?

What's does experience say is best for large family or public viewing even if it means a step stool for the Dob?

September 8, 2003 04:51 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

It was a sultry night...

Posted By Mike Gibson

It's hot, muggy, and the air is very still. The sound of insects making new insects filled the air. Wife and kids plead for air conditioning and indoor entertainment, but the experienced observer knows exactly what to do: Get the biggest, baddest telescope you own pointed at a planet.

The 6" apo and bigger SCT remain parked in the garage, because tonight belongs to the Starmaster with CZ mirror. It keeps going and going, turning Mars into a detailed beach ball. The steady images didn't start to break down until over 800X, and that's only 64x per inch.

Yes Virginia, those bigger Dobs can slay planets just like an apo. It just can't do it on any 'ole night.

September 20, 2004 11:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

International Shipping from USA

Posted By Mike Gibson

Hi Folks - please help me out with your collective wisdom on international shipments from the USA for pricey astro equipment. Sure, I put "CONUS Only" in the ad, but I'm trying to do the right thing and bend over backwards to complete a deal to a 5-star rated fellow AstroMarter.

Problem of course is excessive duty and VAT, something I have fudged before to help buyers out, but never for items costing many thousands of dollars. I want to declare and insure for full replacement value in case of shipping damage. Buyer says not to worry as risk is all his to assume.

Am I being unreasonable? Is there a better but safe solution for both parties?

Signed - Worried in Wabasha

November 15, 2007 02:42 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

FeatherTouch Focus Motor

Posted By Mike Gibson

Needing a focus motor for remote Mars webcam imaging, and not wishing to buy yet another JMI unit (even if they had one for the FeatherTouch), I present the homebrew solution: An adaptation of the JMI Motofocus designed for 1/4" pinion shafts. Not wishing to modify the FeatherTouch in any way, an old Parallax tube ring and bracket holds the 'O"-ringed motor snugly against the FT focus knob (see photo).

Is there anything available yet this side of a $500 RoboFocus?

September 13, 2008 02:32 AM Forum: Celestron

Original C8 Optical Quality

Posted By Mike Gibson

Hi - figured I would ask you guys about an old C8 I "rescued" from an estate sale. It was in its original trunk and as new. Serial number 80312X. I didn't expect much compared to modern optics and coatings, but it was still spot on for collimation after at least 15 years in that trunk.

1) How old is this based on the S/N, stainless steel accessory mounting screws, no coatings indicated, and manual dec motion arm? (photo attached}

2) How good were the optics in these (typically)? I have to admit to being astounded at how good it is, compared to my C9.25, the only SCT I ever liked/kept long term (and still have). I mean c'mon...festoons on Jupiter without any adjustment after all these years?!

April 27, 2009 03:07 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

DSLRs Cold Temperature Limits

Posted By Mike Gibson

Cold camera cooling effects aside, what are the practical limits of using DSLRs at cold ambient temperatures. I had a very bad experience with a Sony Handycam while recording a lunar eclipse back in the 90's near 0 degrees F....not good for surface mount solder joints!

How low can we go? Thanks!

August 13, 2002 05:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

bought a lxd55 ar 5 "......shud I be scared

Posted By Mike Gibson

Congrats on the new scope. I own the AR5 too and at f/9.3, would agree that you can get away with good quality Plossls or Orthos. I also use the Meade 14mm UWA for splendid views of globs. Nice scope!