My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Chris Milmerstadt

April 29, 2004 06:42 AM Forum: Binoviewers

. . . now THESE are good binoviewers

Posted By Chris Milmerstadt

. . . No offense to any of the the Baader, TV, Denk II, or Siebert owners out there (I have the Denk II myself, with single-arm Power Switch) however THESE babies are the way to go if you can over-look their size!! (see below).

http://tinyurl.com/27ewe

what do you folks think?!

Clear skies,

- Chris Milmerstadt
http://tinyurl.com/yqrnc

May 5, 2004 07:44 PM Forum: Binoviewers

First light with the Denk Power x Switch

Hi folks,
just thought I would post that I finally had a good night of seeing and I put the Denkmeier Power x Switch to the test on my 17" newtonian. Mine is the single-arm flavor (1.4x and 2.5x mode)

Well, it worked great. I was originally concerned that I might not have enough available in-focus for the Power x Switch, but just the opposite was true. I needed to rack-out another 1/8th inch in low-power mode (1.4x mode). On the 2.5x mode, I racked out another 3/4" in order to reach focus. I am thinking of moving my primary back another 1/2 in order to achieve a wider full-field of illumination on low power (my secondary is slightly undersized in my estimation... not a function of the binoviewer as it is of my faulty calculations when I was building my scope.

I also recomend that anyone who doesn't have a high quality crayford focuser should go out and purchase one ASAP. I am really able to appreciate the fine threaded focus of the Denk diopter adjusters now that I can critically focus the initial view with my new focuser (Moonlite CR-1 crayford focuser).

I must say it is quite a pleasure switching from low to high power without changing eyepieces or, for that matter, OCS parts. You can really choose the best magnification for your object (in my case jupiter) now that you can quickly toggle back and forth between magnifications.

So I suppose it is a double-endorsement... get yourself a top shelf focuser, and a top shelf Power x Switch!!

Clear skies!
Chris Milmerstadt

May 10, 2003 07:58 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Pentax New's

Hi Markus,
you mention that the new XW series "...retains all the popular features of the current XL series, including eyepiece shape". Do you have the specific width of the eyepieces? The XL series was too wide to use in a binoviewer. Thank Markus.

- Chris M

May 14, 2004 08:10 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Wide Field EP's

I, as do you, have a pair of 12mm Konigs and they are EXCELLENT in my DenkII and 17" f/4.5 newtonian (both at 1.4x and 2.5x mode especially)!! I did try the 16mm (Jim at Helix lent them to me when I purchased the pair of 12mms) and they were really great (extremely sharp to the edge at 2.5x mode) but the eye relief is very short so I ended up getting a bit of eyelash oils on the eyelense. Other than that, I would say superb. I have not tried the 24mm or the 32 mm though.

Clear skies!
Chris Milmerstadt

February 15, 2005 10:43 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Re: best wishes for Tom Hole's recovery

. . . my best wishes to Tom (I had my own eye-scare last year and I can imagine how upsetting it could be). Best to you Tom. - Chris Milmerstadt

April 7, 2008 07:11 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Focal Reduction With a Denk Binoviewer In A Dob??

George Normandin said:

I see a notice on the Denkmeier website that sez:

"Our new .87X Power x Switch Reducer System for Newtonians for the first time ever. Specially designed to work with our D21 Eyepieces, this system will allow them to operate as if they were 24mm 65 degree eyepieces in this very new Denkmeier system......"

I believe I've read that Russ had this system at the WSP this year. Has anyone looked thru this new "reducer"? If so, what did you see?

George N

Hey there George! I agree, this Focal Reduction system sounds intriguing. However, if a D21 acts like a 24mm, how would it compare to a regular Denk Bino with 24mm high-quality eyepieces?

Would a 24mm with the .87x reducer behave like a regular Denk with a 27.5 mm eyepiece? And what does this .87x reducer do to the apparent FOV??

Thanks all. - Chris Milmerstadt