Posts Made By: William Bauer

December 25, 2006 10:20 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Private Message Notification?

Posted By William Bauer

Is there a way to be emailed by Astromart when someone sends me a private message? While most folks use email to ask about classifieds or to otherwise contact each other, I recently had someone use private messages. Even when I strongly hinted to use email, the person still didn't do so.

I don't sit here & monitor for messages, so I could go days (or months if not selling) without seeing these messages. I can't find a setting for notification of new private messages. If it doesn't exist, HINT--feature request--HINT!!

June 3, 2004 04:16 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST ??? For the New Owners

Posted By William Bauer

Haven't tried a lot yet. Stuck in the closet I had the Meade EP set, average images at best. But testing those FL EPs, the 6.4mm is (so far) the best magnifcation. An Ultima barlow with the 9.7 wasn't good, but I'm not a barlow fan or a fan of these Meade EPs. Powermates are good, but I have only a 4x (2").

The Meade 8.8UWA is very nice on the PST; the edges are soft, but the center 2/3 or so is quite sharp. My favorite EP on the PST so far.

I'm going to borrow my friend's 6mm Radian this weekend. I have high hopes for that and its 20mm eye relief.

Most of my EPs are 2" Naglers, so I can't use them. I know many folks prefer simple Plossls for H-a, but I'm testing only what I have on hand right now. I don't plan on purchasing Cemax EPs; I have any number of EPs 12mm and higher that produce fine views. If I like my friend's Radian, I MAY go by OPT with my PST & try a few others to see which produce a good image, although I suspect 6mm to result in about the highest practical magnification.

I will try to let you know. Really enjoying the PST! It's nice to go out on the patio in the morning to see what's going on with that ol' sun. Takes only a minute.

By the way, I have the Bogen 410/3275 gear head on a Bogen 3221 tripod. A great combination for casual solar viewing.

Bill