My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Meisell

March 24, 2003 10:01 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Burgess 25x100 vs Burgess 20x80

Posted By John Meisell

Hmm... still havent heard much about what owners of the 25x100's think of them and how they compare to... the 16x80, other 20x80 or even oberwerks x70's in day to day use.

$300 definitely seems like a helluva deal, but so is $150 for the 16x80s.

I love the 9x63 orions even at $189! Bueler... Beuler... ? ;-) Thanks!

March 24, 2003 11:10 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Turning Prism Tilt Screws is Not ??? Collimating

Posted By John Meisell

Welll... I've got an old pair of 7x50s that seem very very clear but... it "strains" my eyes to use them for any extended period of time. At first it feel strange. If I concentrate, my eyes will focus better, but when I look away it feels strange again. Seemed to me like they are "out of alignment."

I do not see any cat's eye shaped light at the exit...

Alternately closing eyes shows me a slight difference left to right, but it's the exact same behavior with my new Orions which give me no eye strain even after hours.

I do not see any prism adjustment screws (but at this point I dont assume they would help).

The binocs are heavy weight, and move very smoothly in all other respects.

What's written on them is "Le Gran Model No. 129 Fully Coated Optics No 0480 7x50 Field of View 400ft at 1000 yds"

It's kind of a bummer, because they are more clear and have better contrast than many other binocs I've played with, but the strain is no fun at all after a while.

Any advice out there..?
Thanks!
-John.