My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Joe Lentz

June 1, 2004 10:20 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Good job President Bush

Posted By Joe Lentz

Tom, I think Jim is more comfortable with divisive rhetoric and editorializing than he is dealing with facts and reason. The former only needs attitude, while the latter requires a little work and common sense. You may need to lower your expectations a bit. wink

June 2, 2004 06:48 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Staying the course

Posted By Joe Lentz

>>>>the left has used every weapon available to lie about the record of President Bush.<<<<

Jim, this may come as a surprise to you, but there actually is such a thing as a fact. If a fact makes you uncomfortable, you can ignore it, spin it or trample it, but don't be surprised if it keeps coming back to bite you in the a$$. wink

June 2, 2004 11:14 PM Forum: Politics

Just Four Points to Consider (A Bit Wordy)

Posted By Joe Lentz

>>>>We can all thank 'Burkha Boy Ashcroft' for his willing guidlines as to what is 'acceptable' art.<<<<

Well it says volumes about the guy that he was offended by a nude piece of ROCK! What a flippin idiot. AFAIC that particular farce is a microcosm of his career. John Ashcroft, the only politician to be defeated in an election by a dead person. Figures he would be GWB's pick for AG...

June 9, 2004 05:02 PM Forum: Politics

Thought for the Day, 09.06.04.

Posted By Joe Lentz

Good quote Mike. Funny how many of us were brought up to believe that "truth" is the final reckoning, and of ultimate importance, yet as we get older we discover how the truth is desirable to many only so long as it conveniently reflects their beliefs. Otherwise it's optional. wink

June 10, 2004 06:45 PM Forum: Politics

More media "fair coverage"

Posted By Joe Lentz

>>>>President Reagan's accomplishments and legacies are great and his character beyond reproach. This, in turn, bodes well for the Republican party.<<<<

Joe, rather than pick apart your entire post, the continual bogus charges against the "media", etc. I'll just respond to the quote above. The first sentence is ludicrous. With a sweeping statement like that, you appear to be adopting Patrick's it's-true-because-I-said-so debate style. I thought you were above that, but I may have been hasty in my assessment. For all his popularity, Reagan had his faults and made mistakes; they are well documented for those who actually care.

As for the 2nd sentence in your quote; how could you possibly think drawing attention to Reagan is good for today's republican party? All it does is throw today's incarnation of the party into stark unpleasant contrast. Are you simply interested in spin? I'm beginning to seriously doubt than some of you guys even care about real credibility. Too bad.

June 13, 2004 02:44 PM Forum: Politics

Farenheit 9/11 trailer

Posted By Joe Lentz

How about that statement Bush made at the fundraiser... "what we have here are the haves and have mores...I call you my base". wink

June 13, 2004 03:12 PM Forum: Politics

Farenheit 9/11 trailer

Posted By Joe Lentz

Here's a review from last month for those who would like to know more about it:

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,638819,00.html

This will not be an easy movie for many Bush apologists to digest; watch for upcoming ad hominem attacks on Michael Moore in this thread. wink

June 15, 2004 04:46 PM Forum: Politics

FIRST THINGS FIRST

Posted By Joe Lentz

First, thanks Herb!

Second, good rule of thumb Tom.

Last, good point Russell. I'm going to make an effort to not bother replying to every absurd comment and provocation, but concentrate more on ideas... less on other posters. smile

June 15, 2004 09:18 PM Forum: Politics

Safe Harbor???

Posted By Joe Lentz

OK, my turn. I'm against it. In fact I'm far from convinced that churches should have tax exempt status in the first place.

Yesterday on a news program I heard something about the catholic church wanting to stop giving communion to people of a certain political stripe... or something to that effect. Maybe someone here knows more about that, since it's a current issue?

The founding fathers in their wisdom realized the importance of freedom of religion AND freedom from religion. They had no intention of the US becoming any kind of theocracy, closet or otherwise; that doesn't mean there aren't some on the fringes who don't GET it.

IMO these matters are not disconnected from the idea of separation of church and state, and I think it is disingenuous to suggest otherwise. OK then... I know everyone agrees with me on that. wink

June 16, 2004 08:31 PM Forum: Politics

Waxing Nostalgic

Posted By Joe Lentz

Kevin, maybe this will make you feel better; Reagan may have been a little less conservative than some folks think:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2003/0301.green.html