New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Joe Lentz

June 17, 2004 12:52 PM Forum: Politics

Interesting piece about Bush and religion

Posted By Joe Lentz

Interesting article Maurice. Here is an excerpt:

>>>>The newspaper, citing a Vatican official, reported that Mr Bush had in recent talks with the Pope's secretary of state asked for pressure to be placed on American bishops to be more aggressive on social issues in the run up to the election.<<<<

It will be interesting to see how the Vatican responds to this request. Historically they have enjoyed having power, just like anyone else. But as the article suggests, Bush is walking a bit of a tightrope with this sort of strategy. Contrary to the views of some, voters of a more secular nature come in all flavors, right, left, and independent.

June 19, 2004 06:20 PM Forum: Politics

The Bigger Picture

Posted By Joe Lentz

A good reminder Thomas, but one that often falls on deaf ears. Most of the folks who back this war probably either don't want to think about the thousands of Iraqis killed, or view it as some abstract unpleasantness that was somehow necessary... or worse, they have succeeded in dehumanizing the Iraqis to the point where it doens't matter to them. No one talks about it though. Humans... :S

June 21, 2004 03:57 PM Forum: Politics

Police can require ID

Posted By Joe Lentz

OK, I'll respond to my own post. wink IMO you can't break down supporters and detractors of the ruling based on party affiliation. You either think it's fine, or you sense something is wrong with it. If I'm minding my own business and being a law abiding citizen, I feel there is something wrong with being forced by a govt. authority to give personal information, no matter how trivial it may seem on the surface.

It was a 5 to 4 ruling by the way.

June 24, 2004 11:35 AM Forum: Politics

Thought for the Day: 24.06.04.

Posted By Joe Lentz

Excellent quote Mike, and one that pertains to all times, not just Pearl Buck's.

June 24, 2004 02:02 PM Forum: Politics

Sudan?

Posted By Joe Lentz

Good question Darian. Seems like we would have learned something from Rwanda.

June 28, 2004 05:12 AM Forum: Politics

Political Science

Posted By Joe Lentz

Matters of the environment have been taken less seriously by this administration than any other in recent history. Over the past few decades the right has done less to protect our environment than the left. That is well documented in congressional voting records. Neither party is doing enough, but the right is the worst offender. I'm not sure why this is, but all one has to do is check voting records to see that this is the case.

June 28, 2004 12:54 PM Forum: Politics

Detainees win right to Sue

Posted By Joe Lentz

C'mon Jim, this is the same SC that helped get your boy into office and helped keep Cheney off the hook. You should show a little more loyalty. wink

June 28, 2004 08:04 PM Forum: Politics

Toxins in American Environment

Posted By Joe Lentz

Thomas, there has long been an advisory about consuming more than a limited amount of great lakes fish (here in Michigan) because of mercury. Here is a website you may find interesting:

http://www.lcv.org/

In addition to the lead article on mercury emissions and how the Bushies want to weaken clean air standards, there is information (if you go deeper into the site) on the voting records of congressmen on environmental issues going back several years. Compared to democrats, the right has a pretty abysmal record when it comes to protecting the environment in general, although I personally think not enough is being done by any stretch by either party.

Greed and ignorance are the main culprits here. Needless to say, the junk and pseudo-science embraced by the Bushies and their supporters don't help matters either. As is so often the case, education and activism is the answer. Waiting for politicians to do the right thing is a pipe-dream.

June 30, 2004 10:40 AM Forum: Politics

Our best friend in the Middle East?

Posted By Joe Lentz

Good story Tom. That guy Qassem is doing a great service for the region. Nothing like a little application of free speech to bring light into the darker corners.

July 1, 2004 09:05 PM Forum: Politics

Women as hostages?

Posted By Joe Lentz

Darian, when I read your post it made me wonder about something. I believe it is always men who start wars. Maybe that's partly why the idea of a young woman being captured and killed is so horrifying. As to your second question... what do you think?