My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Joe Lentz

July 3, 2004 02:19 PM Forum: Politics

Halliburton rips Taxpayers

Posted By Joe Lentz

OK Jim, but I'm going to withold that portion of my taxes I think Halliburton would put in their pocket. wink

July 13, 2004 11:38 AM Forum: Religion

Why must God be omnipotent?

Posted By Joe Lentz

It's a mystery to me how anyone could believe god to be omnipotent. I mean just look at the world around you. Would an omnipotent god allow so much injustice? So much wanton destruction? So much betrayal of innocence?

An omnipotent god wouldn't allow those things, regardless of the status of mankind's free will. For that matter there is a contradiction in having a sentient lifeform (man) possessed of free will, and an omnipotent god occupying the same universe.

Why do some require their gods to be omnipotent? Given our human condition, it is obviously desirable to believe in a higher power which is not burdened with all our foibles, so if you can go that far, why not go the next step and give it all powers?

July 31, 2004 11:01 PM Forum: Politics

A little test...

Posted By Joe Lentz

Democrat 5

Green 2

Ain't nothin left! wink

August 3, 2004 09:12 PM Forum: Politics

Flip flopping, who's the best?

Posted By Joe Lentz

Jim, your argument can be reduced to simple semantics. I don't think any politician has cornered the market on shifting positions. What is more important is what the consequences are when positions are shifted... or in the case of GWB, what the consequences are of most of the positions he takes period. In other words, I think you are missing the greater point. Too bad that sentiment expressed by the hippocratic oath isn't followed by these people in positions of power: "First do no harm". In the case of GWB it ought to be tattooed on his forehead; maybe then he could remember it. OK, you can return to your regular program of denial now. wink

August 5, 2004 01:44 PM Forum: Politics

It is time to move forward

Posted By Joe Lentz

From Springsteen's letter:

Like many others, in the aftermath of 9/11, I felt the country's unity. I don't remember anything quite like it. I supported the decision to enter Afghanistan and I hoped that the seriousness of the times would bring forth strength, humility and wisdom in our leaders. Instead, we dived headlong into an unnecessary war in Iraq, offering up the lives of our young men and women under circumstances that are now discredited. We ran record deficits, while simultaneously cutting and squeezing services like afterschool programs. We granted tax cuts to the richest 1 percent (corporate bigwigs, well-to-do guitar players), increasing the division of wealth that threatens to destroy our social contract with one another and render mute the promise of "one nation indivisible."

Seem like good reasons to dump George to me. I don't think there will be a backlash. Even republicans realize that everyone has the right to speak their mind and campaign for the candidate of their choice, right? Heck, as a born and raised in Michigan guy I still like Ted Nugents music, even though I wish he would keep his mouth shut the rest of the time. wink

August 10, 2004 03:17 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Kerry in trouble with anti-war supporters

Posted By Joe Lentz

You're building your castles on sand Jim, but you're right about one thing; it's about the lesser evil... except Bush ain't it! You only have a few months left to come to your senses. wink

August 12, 2004 09:24 AM Forum: Politics

Re: Bush's Mocking Drowns Out Kerry's Iraq

Posted By Joe Lentz

This is classic "centrist" reporting made up to look objective.

Jim, if you believe that you might want to see if you can still get in on the crop circle discussion that was on the P&R forum awhile back. wink

August 12, 2004 10:16 AM Forum: Politics

Not a hard call.

Posted By Joe Lentz

Darrell, one of my favorites is:

If a republican trips over a crack in the sidewalk, it's the fault of a democrat.

August 13, 2004 12:04 PM Forum: Politics

F.Y.I. From Seattle P.I.

Posted By Joe Lentz

From the article:

It was disappointing to hear his statements," said Allen, who also serves as NCAI's treasurer. "It was clear to us that he didn't know what he was talking about."

As in so many other areas. Why would this one be any different?

August 13, 2004 02:00 PM Forum: Politics

Bush - A man of his word

Posted By Joe Lentz

With partisan politics as it is today, I am confident that the Administration expects irrelavent barbs like these. There may or may not be good reasons for these actions. In forty years we may then know.

Some of us don't need 40 yrs to see the writing on the wall Jim. And not all criticisms are based on partisanship either. I know it's popular to reduce all discussion of politics to knee-jerk divisiveness, and excuse all charges as such, but facts lie behind every charge, whether they are examined or not. All truth is not relative.