Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC 5070 + NGC 7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Joe Lentz

September 4, 2003 11:57 AM Forum: Religion

Re: The "Anti-Christ" Speaks Out

Posted By Joe Lentz

Howdy ya'll,

Haven't been here for awhile, but I see you're all still up to your old tricks. You know, straightening folks out who aren't owning up to the error's of their ways, feuding, back-peddling, clarifying and enlightening, etc!

Does it get warm in here sometimes? wink I guess that isn't too surprising; we're all different to varying degrees. One thing we do all have in common though, and that is the potential for humor, something which cuts across ethnic, cultural, economic and other lines. It's great medicine, and employing it doesn't mean beliefs are being compromised either. I suggest that some of us might benefit from a closer acquantanceship with it.

BTW, I think it's worth noting that one of the more rational and mature voices in THIS particular thread came from Jonathan.

http://www.astromart.com/messages.asp?message_id=111155&page=

I hope that observation doesn't get anyone riled up! wink OK folks, carry on, get a thicker skin, laugh it off, go back in the mosh pit! (or not...) But most importantly remember this: like the rest of you, I'm always right!

Joe

September 4, 2003 06:20 PM Forum: Religion

Re: I desire to leave; If I do, am I a troll?

Posted By Joe Lentz

Michael, I'm only an intermittant "contributor" to this forum, but read enough to believe that PR&P would be lessened by your absence. If however you choose to vacate this particular forum, then I think you should do so without feeling that your presence here has been in vain. Do what feels best to you; if you are concerned about anyone viewing your departure as some kind of admission of culpability or the like, I would put that out of your mind. Some folks are worth investing a lot of emotion on, others aren't..

September 4, 2003 06:51 PM Forum: Religion

I seem to...

Posted By Joe Lentz

...have 3 posts in a row now. I reckon I'll mosey, my work must be done here wink Good luck ya'll!

September 16, 2003 01:31 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Foetus Bill of Rights

Posted By Joe Lentz

Michael, in the case of a woman who is raped and then becomes pregnant as a result, I think most reasonable people would view her being forced to bring the pregnancy to term as barbaric at the very least. In such a case, the woman has become the victim of yet another crime. Giving a fetus rights that supercede those of a pregnant woman in this situation would be abhorrent.

September 18, 2003 01:10 PM Forum: Religion

League of Conservation Voters

Posted By Joe Lentz

Those of you right leaning folks who have professed to be very concerned about environmental matters should take a close look at this website. The LCV tracks records of all votes that are taken on environmental matters, house and senate. It is a factual record and not spun by partisanship.

http://www.lcv.org/scorecard/scorecardmain.cfm

Take a look and you will see an obvious and long pattern. Although I feel that neither dems or reps have made environmental issues a large enough priority, it is overwhelmingly clear which side has been the most negligent.

My question is this: How do you square this long record with your conservative support, and still claim the environment is a priority for you? Please explain..

September 22, 2003 09:49 AM Forum: Religion

Re: You gotta love Dean

Posted By Joe Lentz

James, even days later you can barely contain your glee at
Jon's departure. It's clear to me that your happiness has less to do with Herb's administration of "justice" than it does with the comfort you take knowing that Jon isn't here keeping you on the ropes. wink

September 23, 2003 09:32 AM Forum: Religion

Re: An Observation...

Posted By Joe Lentz

Ed, think of this forum as a containment device. ;-)

October 1, 2003 03:20 PM Forum: Religion

Outing CIA officer

Posted By Joe Lentz

Following up on another astromarters suggestion, I thought I would go ahead and bring this up. It seems that someone in the white house may have deliberately revealed the identity of an undercover CIA officer. Needless to say, this is a serious offense. There is speculation that it was done to send a message to others in certain postions of influence who might have the audacity to criticize Bush policy. Say, isn't our current president the guy who promised to restore honesty and integrity to the white house? Surely he wouldn't have any knowledge of this crime.

October 7, 2003 01:02 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Secondary size for 10" reflector?

Posted By Joe Lentz

I hope to build a 10" reflector soon, and will use an f/5 mirror and a 2" low-profile focuser. I've run the .nwt program to determine secondary size and it seems to be a trade-off between the amount of illuminated area and the size of the obstruction. For instance:

1.83" secondary
18% obstruction
0.11" 100% illuminated area
1.035" 75% illuminated area

2.14" secondary
21% obstruction
0.49" 100% illuminated area
1.38% 75% illuminated area

This scope will be primarily for deepsky visual use btw. I am hoping that I can get a bit of help here in determining which secondary size might be most appropriate for this project, and some explanation of why.

Last but not least, another option might be to go with an f/5.6 mirror:

1.83" secondary
18% obstruction
0.33" 100% illuminated area
1.13" 75% illuminated area

I would be losing a bit of wide field, but perhaps the trade-off of obstruction vs. illuminated area is better? (also less coma)

I've done some research on this, but would REALLY appreciate opinions others in this forum might be able to contribute re: obstruction size vs. illumination area.

Thanks!
Joe

November 14, 2003 01:10 PM Forum: Religion

Conferring Rights

Posted By Joe Lentz

I was just wondering, upon what criteria should we base the decision to confer rights on other species? Keep in mind that it's only been in recent history that we've done so for all among our OWN species. I mean, if we ever contact extraterrestrial life forms, how will we decide where they rank in this regard. Will it depend on whether we can establish communication with them? We have enough trouble trying to confer respect or rights to other species on our own planet; what gives us the right to make such decisions... other than the fact that we can? Just raising what I think is an important question...