My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Joe Lentz

November 12, 2006 09:51 PM Forum: Politics

The Subpoenas Are Coming

Posted By Joe Lentz

I too welcome these investigations. Oversight is only unimportant to those who think they are above accountability. This country belongs to the American people, not a bunch arrogant idealogues who think that American lives, money, and the truth is their sole property to spend or withhold as only they see fit. This particular neocon experiment is coming to an end - and not a moment too soon.

May 2, 2007 03:21 AM Forum: Politics

Four Years Ago:

Posted By Joe Lentz

To think an administration could create so much ruin through incompetence, yet profess all along to be making progress; to think it could fail in it's leadership so miserably, yet remain utterly in denial about it. What I want to know is this: Where is the accountability?

May 24, 2004 11:17 PM Forum: Polls

Best TV News

Posted By Joe Lentz

I think it's very disturbing to see the number of people who cite Fox as their source for news. Ideally folks would get their news from a variety of sources. Also I was sorry to see that PBS was not offered as an option in this poll. The Jim Lehrer news hour is among the best, at least as regards television news. I fear that many people in our country are less interested in the news than in being entertained and distracted by programs which purport to be the news.

May 25, 2004 03:40 AM Forum: Polls

Best TV News

Posted By Joe Lentz

>>>>As for Fox? Those of you who can't see them for the mouthpiece shiils for the neo-cons that they are are in serious denial. That, or you do see it but are signing on for this brand of facism.<<<<

Kevin, I would prefer to view your quote above as an extreme reaction. But as one who receives news from a wide variety of sources, it is clear that Fox news is far from "fair and balanced" (as they claim). Unless one actually compares news from other sources though, how could they know the difference? Long ago I started referring to Fox as the Bush news network, since that is the more accurate description of their "service". wink

May 25, 2004 03:26 AM Forum: Polls

Best TV News

Posted By Joe Lentz

Sadly, your expectations for an "educated, open-minded, and more knowledgeable" people are a bit high. The process of dumbing down in this culture has been going on long enough now to show real results. It's a nice fantasy to think the amateur astronomy community would be immune, but a fantasy it is.

May 26, 2004 01:39 AM Forum: Polls

Oswald acted alone

Posted By Joe Lentz

Sorry, but I can't get on board the conspiracy theory here. It was such a huge moment in our country's history, such a shock, and such a turning point, it is difficult for people to accept the idea that it wasn't planned by some powerful shadowy network. The more I learn about LHO though, the more I believe he did act alone. He was both fully inclined and capable of doing so. JFK was not his first attempted assassination either.

May 26, 2004 03:20 AM Forum: Polls

Oswald acted alone

Posted By Joe Lentz

Darian, I was probably most influenced by watching the excellent program on Oswald shown by PBS Frontline. Here is a great link to that program for more information:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/oswald/cron/

I guess I would say 75% of me believes Oswald acted alone. It is true Kennedy had his enemies though, and some folks have made a compelling case for conspiracy.

May 26, 2004 11:44 AM Forum: Polls

Oswald acted alone

Posted By Joe Lentz

>>>>Eisenhour had previously warned of the influence and power of a military-industrial complex, and I think that same complex was JFK's downfall.<<<<

Whether the military-industrial complex was JFK's downfall or not will likely continue to be a mystery, but Eisenhour's warning is worth heeding today at least as much as it was when he issued it.

May 26, 2004 06:40 PM Forum: Polls

Oswald acted alone

Posted By Joe Lentz

>>>>I'm sorry if I sound sarcastic<<<<

Somehow Walter, I don't think you're that sorry. wink

June 2, 2004 07:55 PM Forum: Polls

Osama Bin Laden would vote for..(if he could)

Posted By Joe Lentz

In general I agree with David. It's bad enough that I find myself compelled to contribute to the political forum here, but that is my choice, however ridiculous. Seeing this emotionally-politically charged poll on the main astromart page though is a little disturbing. As with the previous poll, I would rather entertain an unproven high opinion about the sensibilities of my fellows here than be forced to call that opinion into question. wink