Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Happy Halloween: Witch's Broom Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Joe Lentz

November 21, 2003 11:34 AM Forum: Religion

Energy Bill

Posted By Joe Lentz

What an opportunity; they have the white house and both branches of the legislature, and this is the BEST they can do? 20 billion in subsidies for oil and gas industries, very little for anything related to alternative energy. More of the worst of the energy status quo. So much for any real concerns about either the environment or long term national security... What a pitiful lack of vision.

November 27, 2003 07:00 PM Forum: Religion

More Thanksgiving

Posted By Joe Lentz

Ditto what the rest of you guys said!! We are indeed fortunate... Best regards to all of you!!!

December 2, 2003 06:35 PM Forum: Religion

Diebold Inc., Touch-screen voting machines

Posted By Joe Lentz

So... is everyone comfortable with this? I know some folks aren't:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/02/opinion/02KRUG.html

Myself? I still like having a paper trail... warts and all.

December 4, 2003 03:43 PM Forum: Religion

Fun with Google

Posted By Joe Lentz

Go to the google website:
http://www.google.com
Type in: "miserable failure" (with quotes) and click: "I'm feeling lucky". Keep your sense of humor...

December 5, 2003 05:00 AM Forum: Religion

ACLU challenges "Patriot" act

Posted By Joe Lentz

Glad to see not everyone is rolling over and being submissive. This country wasn't created and built by people who were afraid to challenge threats to their freedom.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Patriot-Act-Lawsuit.html

From the article:

"The ACLU says that Section 215 of the Patriot Act, which allows the FBI access to any "tangible things", including books and documents obtained through an order from a secret court, does not require investigators to show probable cause."

To me, "secret court" sounds more like something from the old soviet union, than the USA.

December 6, 2003 08:32 PM Forum: Religion

Will Bush bring back the Draft?

Posted By Joe Lentz

Of course we know this won't happen BEFORE the election. But should we rule it out altogether?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=127&ncid=742&e=7&u=/uclicktext/20031204/cm_ucru/acolddraft

From the article:

"Our armed forces are stretched dangerously thin. 60,000 of the 130,000 troops stationed in Iraq come from the National Guard or reserves. 90,000 more are serving in Kuwait, Afghanistan, South Korea, Kosovo and Macedonia. Demoralized by low pay and long tours of duty under harsh conditions, 49 percent of soldiers told Stars and Stripes newspaper that they won't re-enlist. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and top brass say they prefer volunteer professionals to surly conscripts, but in the end they may not have a choice."

Thoughts?

December 14, 2003 09:15 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Good bye Saddam

Posted By Joe Lentz

Jim, good riddance to Saddam. I'm happy for the Iraqi people; they certainly deserve to have something to feel good about after all they have endured. It's a pity he wasn't shot in the little hole he was found in. That would have saved us all from enduring a lengthy trial, wherever and however it is to be carried out. You trying to make political hay of it though is pointless and divisive. There is nothing here that either vindicates Bush, or demeans Howard Dean. Appreciate it for what it is, and try to avoid the spin.

January 13, 2004 07:39 PM Forum: Religion

Re: If you could ask just one question...

Posted By Joe Lentz

>>>>And let's take it easy on the childish insults and rants okay? Lord knows we have seen enough capricious behavior in this forum already.<<<<

Awww c'mon James! We never get to have any fun... wink

OK, one question:

Tell me George, who is really in charge?

January 18, 2004 07:58 AM Forum: Religion

Re: Can the dems smell sparkly clean by November?

Posted By Joe Lentz

I agree for the most part with the points made by both of you guys. The dems get on my nerves with their self-destructive tactics, although it should be mentioned that John Edwards has refrained from the mud-slinging. I think that the large turnout in Iowa speaks to a large turnout in November. This might be read as a positive indicator for the dems... too soon to tell of course. One thing for sure, the doo doo will hit the fan this summer. wink

January 20, 2004 08:00 PM Forum: Religion

State of the Union Address

Posted By Joe Lentz

P.T. Barnum would have been proud of this circus. Good grief, what a spectacle! They should at least eliminate all applause until the end; that way the speech would have to be concise... if not factual.