Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Roger Sherman

September 15, 2002 01:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Old TV 2.5x Barlow or new TV 3x Barlow ?

Posted By Roger Sherman

I have a question---presently I have an old style TV 2.5x barlow and was wondering if it would improve double star images if I would replace it with the more modern 2x or 3x Tv barlows? Or should I go for broke and purchase one of the 2.5x powermates?

For double star work/fun I'm using an 127MM Orion/Synta Apex. ( yes I know-CHEEEP!!But it works! )

If you recommend the newer barlows please tell me why- so that I can learn more about this fascinating hobby.

Thanks in advance, Roger in Tampa

August 13, 2004 04:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

1 1/4" 45* Correct Image Diagonal...Which one?

Posted By Roger Sherman

Hi all,

I need some advice on the subject above. It seems as if there are three 45* CI diagonals that are of possible high quality...Vixen, TV and Williams Optical.

I hope to purchase an Orion 80ED on the new one offered by Celestron. The diagonal will be used for bird watching and digital photography. I know that the WO is probably the best, but it is also the most expensive (because it is a work of art?) Which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance........

Roger in Tampa, Fl. (which will be blown away Friday night) HURRY !!!

August 31, 2004 01:20 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

127MM Orion Apex vs 127MM Intes Micro Alter

Posted By Roger Sherman

Hello all,

I have the Orion 127MM Apex and I enjoy it's optics and portability so much that I'm thinking of acquiring a 127MM Intes Micro Alter scope.

What can I expect as to this scope's improvements over the Orion scope? Is it really worth 2X the price of an Apex. I know, "Beauty is in the eye's of the beholder"

Your thoughts please...Roger Sherman

August 31, 2004 10:08 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

If you could spend a week on the dark side of the

Posted By Roger Sherman

Yes, think about it....If you could spend a week or just a long weekend on the dark side of the moon....(with proper breathing apparatus, etc,etc)which piece of your equipment would you bring along with you?

Talk about dark and steady skies.....

What scope, bino's would you use and why???????

Roger Sherman, on the sunny side of the earth

September 26, 2004 09:31 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

CG-5 Controller Where?

Posted By Roger Sherman

Hello Helpers,

I have an CG-5 mount equipped with a RA drive motor but......You guessed it....no controller. Simply asked...What do I do now ???

Roger Sherman in windy Tampa, Florida

September 28, 2004 02:12 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Controller for a CG-5...Necessary?

Posted By Roger Sherman

Hey all,

I was wondering if is necessary to have a controller for a CG-5 mount?

If it is not necessary to have one....why do they make them?

And if they do indeed make them...where can one find one?

Roger in wet & windy Tampa

September 28, 2004 02:58 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Build your own controller...Here is how...

Posted By Roger Sherman

If you know how, please let me know how. I have a CG-5 mount with a RA drive and no controller. Can I modify an existing EQ-2 controller? It has a 5 pin male din and the port for the CG-5 motor needs 4 pins...not unlike a telephone connection. And, no, Radio Shack does not carry 5 pin female din's that I can modify. ;>(

Please help...the sky's are drying out and I need to track objects in them!!!

Roger in Tampa, Fl.

October 17, 2004 01:09 AM Forum: Telescope Making

What mirror cell to use?

Posted By Roger Sherman

Hello all....

I have been using a 12 1/2" Orion Deep Space Explorer (Discovery) for about 7 years now.....cannot afford to go larger as i would like to.....so I thought that I would try to modify my scope by ventilating it (it has 3 holes about 2" in dia.) and at the same time make it a little lighter.

I can purchase a mirror cell from UO for less than $50 or I could get one from K. Novak for around $255 and several others for prices in between.

Would you advise against the UO cell...if so...what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance...Roger in Tampa, Fl.

September 21, 2005 01:12 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

2" ED Barlow

Posted By Roger Sherman

Hello;

What are your thoughts on Owl Services new barlow? It's not listed on their web site yet. Would such a barlow correct chromatic aberrations bred into acromats? HMMMMMMMMM

Roger in Tampa, FL.

May 18, 2007 11:13 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Apogee 20X100 VS 25X100 Which?

Posted By Roger Sherman

Hello,

I thought that I would ask this question in the equipment form simply because it gets more attention.

So, if you were limited in the amount of bucks you could spend on 100MM BIG BOY'S....which of these two Apogee offerings would you chose for night sky and daylight viewing and why?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.....Roger in Tampa